Mobileread
More Newbie questions
#1  Tempus Thales 02-23-2020, 01:25 AM
Hey there,

Lots of questions but two I can't seem to find answers too atm.

Using this on two different laptops atm. Both questions would be on W10 with 4.10.1 installed.

1. Did something happen to the fluid page scrolling in the newest version of Calibre? What I mean is on a two page format when hitting the spacebar the pages sort of slid off to the right or left. Now this is on an very old computer with a very old version so maybe that's not available any more, if it is I just can't duplicate that behavior.

2. Are there additional steps to take to make a "stylesheet" work? I cut and pasted from the linked thread and adjusted colors to my liking hit ok but nothing changes (?). Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

#2  theducks 02-23-2020, 07:23 AM
I think the keyword you wanted was 'Animated page turn' (as opposed to Flow mode)?

Don't use it (or 2 column view). just preview in single column (800x600) mode like my devices use. But I can answer the other.

Calibre 4 uses a new UI toolkit as a building block because the old one has been unsupported for quite a while. It has issues on top of differences,

You did not say FROM what version that yo upgraded from, so I can't reall nail down your result issue

There is a 'what's new' link on the download page with 2 Tabs: Current Release and you can switch to Major changes tab

On to the CSS
WHERE did you paste it? Options:Styles? and, then you clicked OK?

#3  kovidgoyal 02-23-2020, 09:09 AM
There is no longer an animated page turn.

#4  Tempus Thales 02-24-2020, 10:01 PM
Lets see,

First to kovidgoyal, that answers that! Short and sweet. Must have been in the minority that like that, oh well... Thanks!

Second to theducks, Thank you as well! Lets see, no upgrade on the W10 machine new install only missing the latest update that just came through for me to download. Oh, wait that had to do with the first question that was pretty straight forward from kovidgoyal . Feature gone (maybe for more than a few versions?) just get over it!

CSS question. Yes, in book Preferences/Styles paste/OK and back to the book. No changes for some reason. Only way I got my colors to work was through colors and making a new scheme. That works but I am still trying to get the spacing and margins and such to look right.

BTW, even though you don't use it do you know what the space between two columns layout is called in order to adjust it?

Just curious, still looking/reading/learning no problem if you don't!

Thanks again for the replies!

#5  kovidgoyal 02-24-2020, 10:35 PM
You adjust margins in the Page layout section of the viewer preferences. Inter column spacing is based on the side margins.

#6  Tempus Thales 02-24-2020, 11:59 PM
That's another way of thinking about it huh?

And here I was looking around for some sort of "middle" setting and thinking I was just missing it... Duh!

Awesome!

Thanks Again!

#7  DNSB 02-25-2020, 12:17 AM
Quote Tempus Thales
BTW, even though you don't use it do you know what the space between two columns layout is called in order to adjust it?
AFAIR, the space between two columns of text on the same page is called an alley. The space between two pages is called a gutter though rather often gutter is misused for the space between two columns.

Trivia'R'Us.

#8  theducks 02-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Quote Tempus Thales

Just curious, still looking/reading/learning no problem if you don't!

Thanks again for the replies!
In the real PRINT world, it is called a 'gutter'
But, as kovid says. there is no explicit setting (it simply inherits the margins)

#9  sjfan 02-25-2020, 02:44 PM
Quote theducks
In the real PRINT world, it is called a 'gutter'
But, as kovid says. there is no explicit setting (it simply inherits the margins)
In the real print world that depends on the context. If you're discussing a double-page spread, gutters are the whitespaces next to the spine of the book (to the right of all the text on a verso in LTR text, or to the left of all the text on a recto). The vertical whitespace between columns on a page are alleys.

But if you're just looking at a single page, then the vertical whitespace between columns is usually called a gutter.

https://retpaso.weebly.com/screen-print-gutter.html

Gutter Versus Alley
In some cases, designers will use the terms 'gutter' and 'alley' interchangeably depending on the project. Both have separate meanings. Both are strips of white-space, the main difference is in size and location in regards to the page layout. An alley is the space between columns of text on one page, like in a newspaper, that is used in page layout. The gutter is the white-space between the two pages in the middle spine of the publication.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register