Mobileread
4.11.1 viewer number of columns
#1  rjwse@aol.com 02-21-2020, 03:09 PM
I would like to submit an opinion on this new feature. I would prefer not having an automated number of columns based on font size, but would prefer another way to change number of columns. When I use the new auto-columns-viewed feature and change the font size the number of columns shown stays the same until changing chapters. Instead of this, I would like to see 2 keyboard shortcuts that progressively change column numbers shown in the viewer. For example, the default might be one column, but keying in, say, Ctrl-Alt-+ would increase the number of columns showing progressively from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. The reverse, say, Ctrl-Alt-- would decrease the number of columns showing progressively from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. Best regards, Pop

#2  kovidgoyal 02-21-2020, 09:27 PM
You already can change the number of columns via Preferences in the viewer. The number not changing when font size is changed until a chapter is changed is a bug and will be fixed in the next release.

#3  rjwse@aol.com 02-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the quick reply and thank you for the information about there being a small bug which is to be fixed in the next release. Not to belabor a point, but the fact that "You already can change the number of columns via Preferences in the viewer", while correct, is tediously slow. It requires much more than a single click. With a mouse it goes (1) escape, (2) preferences, (3) page layout, (4) landscape orientation, (5) change number via up/down click or type-in. I use the various single-column/multi-column layout to test appearance of images, boxed text, splitting of lines, etc. and this is — for me, at least — a very desirable feature. In advance, I thank you for your kind consideration. Best regards, Pop

#4  kovidgoyal 02-22-2020, 09:19 PM
I dont follow why you would need to change the number of columns to test things?? It does change the way the viewer does layout. All it changes is the width of a "page" which you can anyway change by rezsizing the viewer window.

#5  rjwse@aol.com 02-22-2020, 09:51 PM
Yes. Good point. I have been using on/off of Ctrl-T and Ctrl-L for TOC and Lookup to force a 3 column layout temporarily into 2, then 1. I noticed nobody likes reading really wide lines of text in landscape. I am learning CSS new stuff and test it this way. I am looking forward to the fix of the auto-column feature based on font size. Still... I long for the aforementioned pair of incrementing/decrementing keyboard shortcuts. I cannot say enough how much I enjoy using calibre. Best regards, Pop

#6  kovidgoyal 02-25-2020, 10:41 PM
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/commit/edcdafe53683fdfa8fab6a7a43f8a15e8bea1b44

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register