Mobileread
Replacement for Onyx Boox M96 - Nova , or Note?
#1  deleted 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm stationed in China, enduring a period of isolation (quarantine) as a result of coronavirus . As luck would have it, in the confined space that is my castle for the next two weeks, I left my Onyx M96 on the bed, forgot about it and then lay on top of it, cracking the screen - that sucks! No books for me.
So what to do?

It's the 2nd time the screens gone (over 4 years). I'd prefer to just replace the screen but I doubt whether the device could endure it twice... I seem to remember the toggle switch button solder being one issue amongst others.

Perhaps I should get a new device.

I'm thinking about the Nova/Nova Pro, or Note 2.

I read a lot of pdfs, and I markup manuscripts, the device needs to be able to handle these conveniently. I also read epubs.

Reservations about Nova : maybe too small.

Reservations about Note : maybe too big / more susceptible to damage.

High priorities: durability.
Some iterations of the above devices have plastic screens. Are they superior? (I'm not saving forests, lowering footprints if the screens keep breaking).

Other priority: weight (M96 is too heavy)

Aux: I'd love it if the user interface was more friendly -import, export, book marks, search function.

What can you recommend?
Are the devices a suitable replacement for M96. Does one fare better than the others? Feel free to recommend other devices too.

#2  ottischwenk 03-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Quote deleted
What can you recommend?
Are the devices a suitable replacement for M96. Does one fare better than the others? Feel free to recommend other devices too.
Likebook Alita - 10.3" flexible display, Android 6, 4/32 GB, Wacom.
~ $500

#3  etn 03-01-2020, 03:54 PM
I think it comes down to wether you want a 7.8" (Nova) or a 10" (Note 2)
Reading PDF is, in my opinion, not possible on a 7.8" - and I find it challenging on the 10" Note 2 which I recently acquired for that purpose (I also have a 7.8" Pocketbook.)

About weight, depends on what you can tolerate - the Note 2 feels light enough to me to hold while reading, but everyone is different. Can you order from a store with a return policy?

Wish you good luck with your quarantine and the virus!!!

#4  deleted 03-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Thanks @etn!
@Ottischwenk, thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't really aware of the Likebook brand. Though it sounds like the software may not be well designed in terms of cropping?

It's hard for me to judge on the 7.8" - I see them loading pdfs on youtube, but it's another thing whether it is a sustainable to read for a long time. For me the Onyx's 9.7" was pretty good.

My reservations with the larger screens are: weight, and durability. I do a lot of travel; putting a large slim object into a bag seems risky. The reason my Onyx m96 cracked twice was due to chassis flex.

I'm lucky that I'm able to access China's second hand market (Xianyu) and there's a lot of e-ink stuff on there. I'll keep thinking about it.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register