Mobileread
How to do an "semi-offline" install on Linux?
#1  halloleo 02-19-2020, 10:35 PM
Hi! I want to install calibre on a CentOS/RHEL 7 Linux system (accessing the UI via X from another machine).

On the Linux system I cannot download large files. (I do have internet, but not for large files.)
  1. So I thought I download the calibre-4.10.1-x86_64.txz archive somewhere else and transfer it via local network to a folder on the Linux machine.

How can I tell the installer linux-installer.sh to use this local archive file instead of downloading it from the internet? In the installer script I found the environment variable CALIBRE_INSTALLER_LOCAL_URL - can I set that to a normal file path (like "/my/path/to/calibre.txz")
  2. Also will the installer download other big files subsequently? How can I find out which ones?
Not sure whether this is the right sub-forum, so please let me know if it is wrong here.

#2  kovidgoyal 02-19-2020, 10:56 PM
just follwo the instructions on the download page for manual binary install

#3  halloleo 02-25-2020, 02:00 AM
@kovidgoyal Thanks for the pointer!

I just followed the instructions using calibre-4.11.2-x86_64.txz. However the last step

Code
sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall
gives me the following error:

Code
Traceback (most recent call last): File "site.py", line 75, in main File "site-packages/calibre/__init__.py", line 23, in <module> File "site-packages/calibre/startup.py", line 204, in <module> File "site-packages/calibre/utils/icu.py", line 30, in <module>
RuntimeError: Failed to load icu with error: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /opt/calibre/lib/libicui18n.so.64)
I have a libstdc++.so.6 in /usr/lib64. My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set, but even when I set it in the sudo command like

Code
sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64 /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall
I get the error.

How can I fix this?

#4  kovidgoyal 02-25-2020, 04:13 AM
your glibc version is too old, look on the download page where the version requirements are mentioned.

#5  halloleo 02-25-2020, 08:39 AM
It's CentOS 7! But if this is too old, is there a way to update the glibc?

#6  kovidgoyal 02-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Centos 7 is 6 years old. And no I would not recommend updating libc update the entire distro to centos 8

#7  halloleo 02-25-2020, 10:58 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register