Mobileread
Where to buy - non-Amazon?
#1  zakman 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM
I have to buy a couple of ebooks (library doesn't have them) but I don't want to give any more money to Amazon if I can help it.

Looking for a legitimate retailer that will give me an actual ebook file that I can download and drop into Calibre. Any suggestions?

#2  DNSB 02-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Quote zakman
I have to buy a couple of ebooks (library doesn't have them) but I don't want to give any more money to Amazon if I can help it.

Looking for a legitimate retailer that will give me an actual ebook file that I can download and drop into Calibre. Any suggestions?
Hmmm... Kobo, Google, quite a few other ebook shops. For myself, I would also add Baen and Tor to the list.

Since you have no location listed, best I can do for now.

#3  zakman 02-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Quote DNSB
Hmmm... Kobo, Google, quite a few other ebook shops. For myself, I would also add Baen and Tor to the list.

Sorry, location is USA.

#4  vikarti 02-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Smashwords?

#5  Quoth 02-19-2020, 05:38 AM
Yes, Smashwords.
Support Kindle, Sony LRF, Palm and epub (Basically every current ereader that's not an Amazon Kindle). No DRM.

#6  shalym 02-19-2020, 07:48 AM
Quote DNSB

Know that if the books have DRM, you will have to install Adobe Digital Editions for most of the epub books in order to use them in Calibre. If you buy from Kobo, you can install the Kobo app to your PC and use the OBOK plugin to import them into Calibre.

Shari

#7  vikarti 02-19-2020, 10:41 AM
Also, you could look at Pocketbook's bookland.com/eng (most of their english-language books are using Adobe's DRM and available in some other places).

#8  ZodWallop 02-19-2020, 11:27 AM
This conversation makes me miss the old B&N, where you could easily download books and they used what they called 'social DRM'. They were real competition to Amazon. Unfortunately, they arbitrarily changed their DRM scheme and downloading with no word beforehand.

#9  JSWolf 02-19-2020, 11:37 AM
Quote shalym
Know that if the books have DRM, you will have to install Adobe Digital Editions for most of the epub books in order to use them in Calibre. If you buy from Kobo, you can install the Kobo app to your PC and use the OBOK plugin to import them into Calibre.

Shari
Um.. WRONG! You can download ePub from Kobo without the need to install Kobo Desktop.

To remove the DRM from ePub, go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com to download the DeDRM plugin for Calibre and to read about it and as question on how to use it.

I highly suggest you install ADE 2.0.1 if you are using Windows or a version of OS X that's not Catalina. https://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html

#10  DNSB 02-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Quote shalym

Shari
Quote JSWolf
Um.. WRONG! You can download ePub from Kobo without the need to install Kobo Desktop.
Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, what is wrong about shalym's answer? An alternative to using ADE was pointed out. Are you stating that you can not use the Kobo Desktop application and OBOK to import books into calibre?

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register