Mobileread
epub popup footnote background color
#1  increase 02-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Can the popup have a different background color?

#2  DNSB 02-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Quote increase
Can the popup have a different background color?
Depends on the renderer and your CSS. Generally, I dislike backgrounds since most of my ereading is done on eInk displays. Grey on grey is not a good recipe for legibility.

#3  BetterRed 02-13-2020, 07:02 PM
I read somewhere there's more than one shade of grey/gray

#4  JSWolf 02-13-2020, 08:26 PM
Quote BetterRed
I read somewhere there's more than one shade of grey/gray.
For some people, a colored background can be hard to read. So the rule is don't do it because you could be causing problems for some of your readers.

#5  DNSB 02-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Quote BetterRed
I read somewhere there's more than one shade of grey/gray
With eInk, you get either 8 or 16 shades of gray. What are the chances that converting as an example, blue text on a yellow background to a 16 level gray scale is going to use shades of gray that have sufficient contrast to be easily readable? BTW, that is a real example from one ebook I recently read.

I never did finish 50 Shades of Grey. Just not my cuppa despite several friends highly recommending it.

#6  hobnail 02-14-2020, 09:13 PM
Some ereaders have a night mode where it's white text on a black background (or maybe it's ereader software on tablets and phones). A footnote with a background color probably won't come out correctly in that situation.

#7  BetterRed 02-15-2020, 01:39 PM
IMO ereaders should have an option to present notes as 'footnotes' - i.e. at the bottom of the screen, preferably in a smaller font - like the calibre viewer once did Ψ³

If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Quote DNSB
I never did finish 50 Shades of Grey. Just not my cuppa . . .
- too much sugar in it for me.

BR

#8  roger64 02-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Hi

For what I can see, the same note on an ePub3 can today be displayed differently
- as a pop-up note (Calibre viewer)
- as an in-page note (Koreader)
- as a "classic" note (- converted- with Prince PDF)

I do not know yet of any option on any device/sofware that could let the user choose between the first two. It would certainly be great. Some books make use both of informative footnotes and , say, bibliographical endnotes, which could justify a diiferent rendering.

#9  BetterRed 02-15-2020, 08:01 PM
Quote roger64
- as an in-page note (Koreader)
I didn't know that.

I've shied away from KOReader- mainly that I 'want' something that's like a paper book - in the sense that it just works. The thought of adding stuff to an e-reader goes against the grain; well, my grain at least :lol:

But I'll have a look at it on my android phone.

Do I have a book with note-links and bibliography-links, not sure I do - one would hope they'd be distinguishable - but how I wonder.

BR

#10  roger64 02-15-2020, 09:02 PM
Here

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/In-page-footnotes

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register