Mobileread
Tables: what is the best way to render them on ebooks?
#1  1v4n0 12-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Hello, what do you think is the best way to render tables on epub/azw3 ebooks? I usually turn them into html tables, which works fine on kindle and on one of the apps I use (Moon+), but it doesn't work on Kobo (I'm told) and on Lithium, another app.
I guess turning them into images would make them more cross-compatible, but it would also make the books heavier.

What's your suggestion?

#2  JSWolf 12-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Tables do work on Kobo Readers. Create a test ePub with a table and I'll try it on my Kobo with the latest firmware.

#3  1v4n0 12-15-2019, 07:17 AM
PM

#4  Turtle91 12-15-2019, 09:00 AM
JSWolf can definitely help you out testing for the kobo.

In general, tables should be avoided UNLESS they are small (2-3 columns) and really need to be presented as a table. Too many columns and the data just becomes unreadable on smaller displays.

Your idea of using images is most definitely the most cross-compatible, and image "weight" can be minimized by choosing the correct format (.gif, .png, .jpg). However, you still need to be concerned with too many columns on a small display - it can make the image so small it's unreadable.

#5  JSWolf 12-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Is it OK if I post a screen shot (with cellphone camera) of one of the tables? It does work no problem sort of. If the text if made large enough, it won't look good. But at whatever size it is in the photo, it looks good. It's the table from Tav. 4.

Oh and one more thing, I added a text-align: left to the table CSS as it looks better that way then the text trying to full justify.

#6  1v4n0 12-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Sure, post it.

#7  1v4n0 12-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Wait, "Tav. 3" is actually an image. Tell me about the other ones, like "Tav. 4"

#8  JSWolf 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Quote 1v4n0
Wait, "Tav. 3" is actually an image. Tell me about the other ones, like "Tav. 4"
Here is the photo of Tav. 4.

show attachment »

It looks good.

#9  1v4n0 12-15-2019, 12:36 PM
Looks good yes, thanks.

#10  JSWolf 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM
There is going to be an issue on Kindles as they have wide left/right margins. On the Kobo, I have a rather narrow margin as you can see. And given that the table just fits, it may not fit on a Kindle screen.

For the table you asked me to look at in PM, make the headers muliti-line by adding a hyphen and then make those columns smaller. Do that for every table you can and you'll have a better chance of the table fitting with a larger font size.

One other thing, my Kobo is an H2O and that uses a 6.8" screen.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register