Mobileread
A bookmaker's V&R...
#1  Hitch 12-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Alright, so...yes, yes, yes, this should be in the V&R forum, but, so what. I'd have to explain everything, for those good folks to get it, and you lads (and ladies) will "get it" right away.

There are reasons that a decade ago, you all knew me as a fun, lighthearted, warm, kind person(alright, yes, I'm slathering it on a bit) but now, I'm old, jaded and bitter. This email is one of the reasons, and all its brethren, that drive me to misogynistic tendencies, in the original meaning of the word...

An inquiry from someone yesterday, which said:

Spoiler Warning below

What accessibility standards are you able to adhere to in your ePUB conversion?
We are looking for a minimum of WCAG 2.0.
Are you able to meet these and if so, how does it affect your pricing?

Me:

Whu? followed by:
followed by:

This is why I'm insane. This is the sort of thing that is turning me into the Ebeneezer Scrooge of Scrooges, lemme tell ya.

So, for those of you that WILL ask, my reply:

Spoiler Warning below

With all due respect, WCAG 2.0 is for web documents—not eBooks. if you search the WCAG, there's not even a reference to ePUB fles or any other eBooks, and that's for a reason. There are standards that no eBookmaker can meet—no matter what—like, for example, "keyboard functionality." We don't control that—the device-maker does. So, that falls to Amazon, to Apple, to B&N and so on.

For me to be able to address those standards that an eBook can achieve, I have to know what environments the eBooks will be read upon, and every single device. Because every device has different capaiblities.

So—which WCAG 2.0 standards, exactly, are you trying to hit, that you feel eBooks can do, and secondly, upon what devices and in which environment will these ebooks be used?

Which, of course, was not my REAL, inner-dialogue reply. I'll refrain from that, because with my luck, that person will search on this standard and this bloody post will come up.

I mean...if you're gonna be an accessibility badass, don'tcha think you should at least READ the damned standards? And pay attention to the fact that they're for THE WEB, not eBooks, where things like "make it easier for users to hear or see the content" are ENTIRELY in the control of the device-and-firmware makers, ffs?

AGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Hitch

#2  Quoth 12-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Indeed.

Also even supposedly WCAG 2.0 standard Web sites can be using evil dark GUI techniques and have poor usability.

#3  Quoth 12-11-2019, 03:59 PM
"misogynistic tendencies"
Um, I think it's a human thing, not gender based. Gender, Ethnicity and whatever are no barrier to people ticking boxes.

#4  Hitch 12-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
"misogynistic tendencies"
Um, I think it's a human thing, not gender based. Gender, Ethnicity and whatever are no barrier to people ticking boxes.
I agree, absolutely. I was referring to the Women's Rights movement which misappropriated misogyny to mean, "woman-hating" decades ago.

That's why I said, "original meaning of the word." I don't just hate men. I hate everybody, of all sizes, shapes, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientation and all that good jazz. I've become an EEO hater. :-) I suck, but I'm even-handed about it.

AND, yes, also--WCAG sounds good but in practice, they need to spend more time thinking about it. You're absolutely right in that I run across black-backgrounded sites that are allegedly "accessible" that I need my as seen on TeeVee magnifying specs to read, on TOP OF my glasses.

Hitch

#5  hobnail 12-11-2019, 05:12 PM
On the flip side there are virtually no web sites about html and/or css that say anything about epub, they're as scarce as tits on a duck. I have css-tricks in my rss feed but it's never anything to do with epub.

#6  Hitch 12-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Quote hobnail
On the flip side there are virtually no web sites about html and/or css that say anything about epub, they're as scarce as tits on a duck. I have css-tricks in my rss feed but it's never anything to do with epub.
Yuuupperdoodle, that's exactly right. I just don't know WHAT he was thinking.

Hitch

#7  elibrarian 12-11-2019, 06:22 PM
As the man said in the original question, its all about accessibility (for people needing screenreaders and such to use ebooks).

You can read something about it here:

https://inclusivepublishing.org/toolbox/accessibility-guidelines/

where there are also links to the specs. (WCAG 2.0, or a subset is among the criteria.)

You might also want to consider KevinH's brilliant plugin for Sigil (Access-Aide) and Doitsus ACE-validation plugin.

Regards,

Kim

#8  Hitch 12-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Quote elibrarian
As the man said in the original question, its all about accessibility (for people needing screenreaders and such to use ebooks).

You can read something about it here:

https://inclusivepublishing.org/toolbox/accessibility-guidelines/

where there are also links to the specs. (WCAG 2.0, or a subset is among the criteria.)

You might also want to consider KevinH's brilliant plugin for Sigil (Access-Aide) and Doitsus ACE-validation plugin.

Regards,

Kim
Kim:

Thank you, I'm more than acquainted with accessiblity--with what CAN be done in eBooks. Which has almost NOTHING to do with WACG.

There is actually quite LITTLE that a bookmaker can do. We already do the primary aspects:

Most of the biggest "needs" for accessibility have nothing to do with the eBooks and everything to do with the devices and readers. So, let's lecture those companies, shall we?

Hitch

#9  elibrarian 12-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Well, I'm not that much of an expert and won't start an argument, but those accessible epubs of yours, how do they fare if you run them through the ACE-checker?

Regards,

Kim

#10  Hitch 12-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Quote elibrarian
Well, I'm not that much of an expert and won't start an argument, but those accessible epubs of yours, how do they fare if you run them through the ACE-checker?

Regards,

Kim
(sigh).

Hitch

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register