Mobileread
PRS-505 New Charger Needed
#1  BookCat 10-24-2019, 05:10 AM
A couple of days ago I took a look at my old Sony prs 505 because I wanted to move one of the books onto my pc to convert to azw3 for my kindle. The Sony had a big exclamation mark on the screen and the words "No Battery!" written at the bottom.

Naturally, I did a very loonngg mains charge using the original Sony charger, but this has done nothing. No charging lights came on. So, before purchasing a new battery and twisting the arms of a techie friend, I wondered if my pc would recognise the reader anyway, allowing me to offload the books. The moment I put its usb cord into the computer the charging light came on!

I know from reading posts from years back that charging from a computer is inefficient, especially as I was thinking of snoozing soon (yes, I keep odd hours) so I need a new charger.

I took a quick look online, but decided to ask the helpful folk here where would be the best place to get the type of charger Sony used to make . . . you know, the type with a block and barrel. Most of those I found seemed to be standard mains usb chargers.

Please bear in mind I'm in the UK and we don't have Walmarts etc. If anyone has a working one they are prepared to sell, please let me know.

If this post is in the wrong dept, please move it to the marketplace. I wasn't sure whether it was a "help me with my sick 505" or a "where can I buy a suitable charger?" or "does anyone have one to sell."

Thanks for any help.

#2  richrock 10-24-2019, 06:21 AM
I bought a cheap one off eBay ages ago - usually around £5-10 including shipping. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Charger-Sony-Ebook-Reader-PRS-505-PRS-500-PRS-700/260691352115?hash=item3cb26a5a33:gPEAAOSwHQ9WU13 A

From what I understand, the USB charge rate is slower than the mains plug, which gives the battery a soft charge to start from near empty. Obviously it's never wise to leave it go so low, but that's a trick I've learned on my 505's

#3  BookCat 10-24-2019, 07:33 PM
I made an offer on one of the proprietary Sony chargers on ebay. I just hope the seller accepts and that it works.

I rarely leave my old Sony without charging for so long, but I read on my paperwhite and just have the 505 as a repository for books. When I want to read the books I move them to my pc then Calibre, convert and put on my kindle to read. The only ones I can't do this with are the .lrx formats.

#4  FizzyWater 10-24-2019, 09:08 PM
I could have sworn the Sony PSP chargers were a valid replacement. No idea if they're any easier to find now, but they definitely were when I still had my 505.

#5  rcentros 10-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Quote FizzyWater
I could have sworn the Sony PSP chargers were a valid replacement. No idea if they're any easier to find now, but they definitely were when I still had my 505.
I think they'll work — they just have a little longer "nose" than the PRS ones. You can also find cables (some two-headed) that will fit into a different USB "brick."

https://www.amazon.com/Fenzer-Charger-PRS-300-PRS-505-PRS-600/dp/B01BH96W40/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=sony+prs+charging+cable&qid=1 571970146&sr=8-18

(I'm pretty sure you find something like this in England as well.)

#6  revmike 10-24-2019, 10:54 PM
The Sony PSP charger will work, it's the only one that I use for my 505, since 2008.

#7  BookCat 10-25-2019, 11:03 PM
The offer I made for one of Sony's original 505 chargers was accepted. It should be with me soon. It's used but in working order. I paid £11 for it.

Edit: I've noticed that the psp chargers are only 5V instead of 5.2V for the 505, but they're much more commonly available and lower priced.

#8  BookCat 10-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that I received the charger and it works perfectly. Thanks for all the help.

#9  FizzyWater 10-31-2019, 07:34 PM
Good news!

#10  Ghitulescu 11-06-2019, 05:42 AM
I think Sonies are pretty much picky when it comes to the cables.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register