Mobileread
Kobo PC connection sucks
#1  PeterA 01-25-2021, 08:18 AM
I found that our 2 Kobo Aura bothe refuse to connect to Windows 10, thus making it unable to transfer content from Calibre to the reader.
Internet fora claim it is a known issue, between Kobo and cable connections. I have used both their own, and my other cables, effect none.
Will look out for another brand, without the hassle.

#2  Quoth 01-25-2021, 09:18 AM
The problem is usually Windows 10 or a cable. Not the Kobo.
I've had no problem with three Kobo models: The Touch, C version, Original Aura H2O and Libra.

No-one else here is reporting Kobo specific connection issues. There was a disconnection issue with one firmware version.

#3  PeterT 01-25-2021, 09:51 AM
What type of USB port are you connecting to on your PC? Anecdotal reports are that Kobo is happier connecting to a USB 2 port. If you only have USB 3 ports use a USB 2 hub attached to a USB 3 port.

#4  JSWolf 01-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Quote PeterT
What type of USB port are you connecting to on your PC? Anecdotal reports are that Kobo is happier connecting to a USB 2 port. If you only have USB 3 ports use a USB 2 hub attached to a USB 3 port.
I've been connecting my H2O to a USB 3 port for 4-5 years and I've never once had a problem. One of the USB 3 ports is a charge port. The other three are just standard USB 3. Also, I am using Windows 10 64-bit Home and Pro (MSI aptop and MS Surface Pro 2)

#5  DNSB 01-25-2021, 12:08 PM
Quote PeterA
I found that our 2 Kobo Aura bothe refuse to connect to Windows 10, thus making it unable to transfer content from Calibre to the reader.
Internet fora claim it is a known issue, between Kobo and cable connections. I have used both their own, and my other cables, effect none.
Will look out for another brand, without the hassle.
Which version of the Aura? And as has been pointed out several times in this thread, there are issues with some USB3 ports and Kobo ereaders (my laptop connects happily on a USB3 port but will only charge from the USB3 always on charging port). There are also reports that several Windows tablets having issues with not supplying enough power. Plugging a powered USB2 hub into either port and connecting a Kobo to the hub allows me to use either port. Considering the cost of a USB2 hub compared to a new ereader, that might be something to try before purchasing a new ereader.

#6  Sirtel 01-25-2021, 12:14 PM
My Libra refused to connect to my new Dell laptop via any USB-C/USB-A adapter I tried (the Dell only has USB-C ports). I bought an USB-C/USB-2 hub then and that worked.

I might add that none of my other devices, external drives, Kindles, cordless mouse etc had any trouble with connecting via an adapter. The Kobo was the only device refusing to do so.

#7  twowheels 01-25-2021, 12:17 PM
I've never tried to connect my Clara to a Windows computer, but have never had any problem connecting to either Linux nor macOS.

#8  JSWolf 01-25-2021, 03:46 PM
Quote Quoth
The problem is usually Windows 10 or a cable. Not the Kobo.
I've had no problem with three Kobo models: The Touch, C version, Original Aura H2O and Libra.

No-one else here is reporting Kobo specific connection issues. There was a disconnection issue with one firmware version.
It's not Windows 10. If it was, we'd have a lot of reports of connection problems.

We have had reports of the cable and the port being used. And we've had reports of using a USB 2 hub works.

#9  PeterT 01-25-2021, 07:35 PM
As Jon says, it's not the much maligned Windows 10. I've seen highly reputable anecdotes of issues on Apple devices with certain USB ports.

#10  JSWolf 01-25-2021, 08:26 PM
Quote PeterT
As Jon says, it's not the much maligned Windows 10. I've seen highly reputable anecdotes of issues on Apple devices with certain USB ports.
Apple with the M1 chip because Apple is using bleeding edge and it bleeds too much.

@PeterA on this computer, what type of USB ports are they and what is the connector type?

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register