Mobileread
Looking for an upgrade
#11  Quoth 01-24-2021, 10:53 AM
No, there is no Switch to SD card option when you press + when it's a removable SD Card.

The "Formatting as Internal" had failed with the 32G. I reset it as an empty FAT32 via Linux and inserted it again with power off. This time the Format as Internal completed via Notification panel and offered moving Apps and Data. I accepted.

Now the KOReader works with books in /Books. Obviously this method means you can only transfer via MTP and it might be limited to 32G Byte cards. It has the advantage that all Android apps are using the SD card without using anyy SD Card APIs. Only more recent versions of Android have this option, which fixes compatibility at expense of only having WiFi or MTP transfer.

So, no, the KOReader and other Apps that can read SD cards on my Tablets and Phones can't see the SD card. You can see the mount point in the builtin Mars filebrowser and the pre-supplied Mars apps can use it. A 128G ExFAT. An OTA FW patch added exFAT compatibility at the Welcome screen and then the 14th Jan FW update after the reboot.

So the problems are Android and exFAT. Not really the Mars or KOReader.

Indeed KOReader does render ePubs better than the builtin ereader.

#12  pazos 01-24-2021, 12:29 PM
Quote Quoth
No, there is no Switch to SD card option when you press + when it's a removable SD Card.
That means you're using a legacy version, older than 2012.12.

The commit that added that feature is https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/6919 and the android implementation is in https://github.com/koreader/android-luajit-launcher/pull/266

I'm aware that Likebooks are not 100% compliant with android, but they need to be compliant with "getExternalFilesDirs" as most apps in android rely on it.

Please don't install KOReader from crappy web pages or crappy app stores. Their versions are outdated at best, normally borked and might contain malware.

KOReader stable releases are available on github and f-droid. Nightlies are available in koreader.rocks

Install instructions for android in the wiki

#13  ottischwenk 01-24-2021, 12:57 PM
Quote Quoth
I did dialogue to make a 32G SD card be internal storage, but can't see it anywhere.
Then you only see the SD card - not the internal memory.
It makes sense to move all applications to the internal memory so that they do not take up space on the SD card

#14  Quoth 01-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Then you only see the SD card - not the internal memory.
It makes sense to move all applications to the internal memory so that they do not take up space on the SD card
Yes, the SD card pretends to be Internal memory, and you mean move apps & data from the original real internal Flash to the SD card mounted as additional internal memory.

I can confirm that BT Audio works. Though I'm using a €6 rechargeable adaptor that drives ordinary headphones, Hifi or small speakers. It took several attempts.

I've a mono handsfree and a necklace BT earbuds somewhere I'll test. Listening to MP3s made from an old cassette audio book set.

#15  Quoth 01-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Quote pazos
That means you're using a legacy version, older than 2012.12.
Ah, but other apps say Access Denied on the path.

I installed it from the Boyue App Store on the Mars. Which any random person would. The OTA / Web update option in KOReader gives a message I didn't understand.

I've no idea how to install ANYTHING directly on the Lifebook.

#16  Elektron 01-24-2021, 03:49 PM
So right now I see the Lifebook Mars and the Boox as options... I realise BT audio would have a batterty issue. However I would like an eInk device. I think I'll look into the Mars. Does it have BT and ePub?

#17  rcentros 01-24-2021, 05:17 PM
Quote Elektron
Some of the things I want are: Pocket, Bluetooth audio, a headphone jack (not necessary), an inverted screen option, a web browser (this is a must for me!), OverDrive, and easy modding/hacking.
A stock PocketBook HD3 has most of these. Bluetooth audio (headphone jack with included USB to 3.5 audio jack), a fairly decent web browser, Overdrive via the Web Browser (ADE is built-in) — and the option to install Cool Reader or KoReader (which allows an inverse screen). No built-in Pocket support (though it does have built-in DropBox support — along with PocketBook Cloud and Send to Pocketbook).

#18  Elektron 01-24-2021, 06:29 PM
The Mars is $400 CAD so I'll give up on that for now. The Boox and Pocketbook look promising.

#19  ottischwenk 01-25-2021, 01:27 AM
Quote Quoth
Yes, the SD card pretends to be Internal memory, and you mean move apps & data from the original real internal Flash to the SD card mounted as additional internal memory.
When installing the internal SD card, many of the additionally installed applications are moved to the SD card.
You can see this in the Android Settings (Storage) - and these can and should be moved back; there are applications that forget to login there, but not in the internal memory.

#20  DaleDe 01-25-2021, 11:50 AM
Quote Elektron
So right now I see the Lifebook Mars and the Boox as options... I realise BT audio would have a batterty issue. However I would like an eInk device. I think I'll look into the Mars. Does it have BT and ePub?
Yes it does, both. Generally this kind of thing is answered in our wiki.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register