Mobileread
What Ereaders models have the best battery life?
#11  Nizharu 01-19-2021, 01:12 PM
Quote DNSB
Comparing the Tolino Shine 3 running Android and the Kobo Clara HD running Linux, the Kobo unit allows reading longer between battery charging. My Clara HD allows me to read for ~30 hours to take the battery down to ~30%. I seldom see the battery that low since I connect to my computer to transfer books rather often.
So, do you recommend the Clara for someone as exigent like me? I heard that you can change the internal sd card on those, and I have bought on the store before.

Also, half my family is kobo, quarter is bokeen (the diva is beautiful fyi) and the other quarter kindle and I don't like kindle nor now french.
that's why I tried with the pocketbook.

[QUOTE/]
For eInk devices, Kobo, Amazon, Pocketbook use Linux while most others such as Onyx Boox, Tolino, Boyue, etc. are using Android. The battery life issue is, IMHO, more likely related to the reduced battery size in many newer ereaders in an attempt to reduce the weight.

One of my coworkers purchased a Onxy Boox Poke3 as a Christmas present to himself. He installed multiple reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Moon+, Audible, etc.). He has been very disappointed with the battery life even using the native reading app but then an 8 core CPU, WiFi/Bluetooth and Android 10's less than stellar power optimization for eInk displays is not a good recipe for long battery life.[/QUOTE]

Witch is weird because the Sonys uses android as OS, it look like a heavily modified one though.

#12  DNSB 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM
Quote Nizharu
So, do you recommend the Clara for someone as exigent like me? I heard that you can change the internal sd card on those, and I have bought on the store before.
I changed out the uSD card in my Clara HD for a 32GB version. There are several tutorials on this process.

For eInk devices, Kobo, Amazon, Pocketbook use Linux while most others such as Onyx Boox, Tolino, Boyue, etc. are using Android. The battery life issue is, IMHO, more likely related to the reduced battery size in many newer ereaders in an attempt to reduce the weight.

One of my coworkers purchased a Onxy Boox Poke3 as a Christmas present to himself. He installed multiple reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Moon+, Audible, etc.). He has been very disappointed with the battery life even using the native reading app but then an 8 core CPU, WiFi/Bluetooth and Android 10's less than stellar power optimization for eInk displays is not a good recipe for long battery life.
Quote Nizharu
Witch is weird because the Sonys uses android as OS, it look like a heavily modified one though.
I suspect that a mix of an older Android version and Sony's heavy customization helped with the battery life.

#13  JSWolf 01-19-2021, 07:54 PM
How well does the battery last in the Kobo Libra H2O? I would recommend that over the Clara HD is the battery lasts well enough. The Libra has a 7" screen which is much nicer for reading then the Clara at 6". A 6" eInk screen is the new too small.

#14  DNSB 01-19-2021, 09:42 PM
Quote rantanplan
Pocketbooks are one of the few devices that actually turn off after the configured "sleep" time. Mine is configured for 10 minutes of sleep or so before it turns off.
Same for Boox devices, you configure a stand-by timer and a turn off timer.
You can add Kobo's ereaders to the list since you can set sleep and power off individually as long as you set the power time time longer than the sleep time.

#15  rcentros 01-20-2021, 09:24 AM
Quote Nizharu
So the Clara HD its not a good option either, what a bummer.
I don't know about that. The Clara HD and Shine 3 have completely different firmware. I'm guessing the Clara has better battery life than the Shine 3 because the Shine 3 is based on Android. But nothing really compares to the Sonys. (Not anything that I've found, anyhow.)

#16  rcentros 01-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Quote rantanplan
If the device turns off, then the battery isn't really drained by the device, only charging degradation the battery has naturally.
Not supposed to anyhow. PocketBook Touch Lux 3 definitely drains (and quickly) when the power is off. Must have some kind of short. Wish I could find that short, I really like the features on the Touch Lux.

#17  rantanplan 01-20-2021, 09:34 AM
Quote rcentros
Not supposed to anyhow. PocketBook Touch Lux 3 definitely drains (and quickly) when the power is off. Must have some kind of short.
Li-Io batteries degrade over time. Maybe it's just not as good as before anymore.

#18  JSWolf 01-20-2021, 10:19 AM
Quote rcentros
I don't know about that. The Clara HD and Shine 3 have completely different firmware. I'm guessing the Clara has better battery life than the Shine 3 because the Shine 3 is based on Android. But nothing really compares to the Sonys. (Not anything that I've found, anyhow.)
My Kobo Aura H2O compares very well to the Sony Readers. It's 6 years 2 months old and the battery is still doing rather well. My Sony Reader PRS-650's battery needs replacing. it needed replacing long before 6 years.

#19  Nizharu 01-20-2021, 02:44 PM
So, the Clara would be a good buy for my needs? I have received the money of my refund, and I'm still hesitant to make the buy.

#20  John F 01-20-2021, 06:42 PM
Niagara, in your original post you said heavy use; how many hours a day do you read?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register