Mobileread
changing cover image
#1  angharad09 09-01-2020, 04:21 PM
For changing the cover image in an azw3 file, most of the advice I've seen online says (1) use Calibre; (2) change the image in the Edit Metadata window; then to make the image show up, either (3a) do an azw3 to azw3 conversion or (3b) use the Polish Books function.

For me, both 3a and 3b generated a file that was almost double in size.
So question 1 is, is that normal?

But if I used Save to Disk instead, it generated a normal-size file that showed the new cover and seemed to work fine.
So question 2 is, is there some reason (which I didn't see in my quick check) why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks.

#2  JSWolf 09-01-2020, 04:33 PM
The best solution is to use the Editor in Calibre to edit the Kf8 eBook and replace the cover that's there with the cover you want. It's very easy to do. Also, you can then losslessly compress all the images for smaller file sizes.

#3  angharad09 09-01-2020, 05:26 PM
As far as I can tell, replacing an image directly is not possible for Kindle files; the option isn't present like it is for epubs. What am I missing?

#4  Hitch 09-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Quote angharad09
As far as I can tell, replacing an image directly is not possible for Kindle files; the option isn't present like it is for epubs. What am I missing?
HOW are you making those MOBI files in the first place?

Hitch

#5  pdurrant 09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Quote angharad09
For changing the cover image in an azw3 file, most of the advice I've seen online says (1) use Calibre; (2) change the image in the Edit Metadata window; then to make the image show up, either (3a) do an azw3 to azw3 conversion or (3b) use the Polish Books function.

For me, both 3a and 3b generated a file that was almost double in size.
So question 1 is, is that normal?

But if I used Save to Disk instead, it generated a normal-size file that showed the new cover and seemed to work fine.
So question 2 is, is there some reason (which I didn't see in my quick check) why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks.
I suspect you've got calibre set up to generate a combined MOBI+AZW3 when you convert to AZW3. Check the conversion preferences.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register