Mobileread
Does Kindle Previewer 3 simulate iphone or android phones?
#1  impasto 08-23-2020, 01:34 PM
I realize an ebook can look slightly different on Kindle app intalled on iphone vs installed on android phone. Kindle Previewer 3 has three options (phone, tablet, kindle e-reader), but I dont see an option to distinguish between iphone and android simulation. So which phone am I simulating? Any work-around to set the type of phone?
Thanks.

#2  jhowell 08-23-2020, 04:12 PM
You are just selecting the general size and shape of the screen. It is not actually simulating any particular phone.

#3  impasto 08-23-2020, 04:19 PM
Thank you. Is there an iphone simulator available that works from Windows10 PC?

#4  Quoth 08-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Apple would suggest you buy a Mac.
You can simulate Android on most platforms, though debug mode and USB transfer to test isn't much delay and then it's real.

#5  impasto 08-23-2020, 04:57 PM
I guess I could buy an older iphone, and sideload an ebook to Kindle app for testing. But wanted to find a cheaper alternative if possible.

Android is not a problem, that's how I've been debugging my test ebooks (after epub validation). My phone runs on android.
Thanks.

#6  Quoth 08-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Just make sure it's an iPhone still supported by iOS apps. On Android you can get old working versions of apps outside the Playstore. Apple has a deliberate policy that the app has to be updated or is kicked out of the store. Then it can't be installed on iOS phones/tablets that are perfectly good but can't be updated to the latest iOS.

But Apple Store uses a variation of ePub. You can upload the SAME epub 2 to Amazon and Smashwords and Smashwords will distribute it to the Apple Store, where it gets an Apple wrapper. They also distribute to Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Libraries.

About 1/3rd of our sales are via Smashwords despite Amazon's 90% of ebook sales.

But if it's really needing fixed layout forget about real ebooks, make a PDF for 10" and larger screens.

#7  impasto 08-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Quote Quoth
Just make sure it's an iPhone still supported by iOS apps.
I understand what the problem is but not entirely. I thought to buy a used iphone, do factory reset, create a new apple account. Then I would install a kindle app. I wouldnt install a sim card, as I would use it with wifi or usb cable only.
I would think Kindle app should be still supported on iphone5 or iphone6, correct?
Fyi, I've never used an iphone

Is there a problem with this scenario?
I see used iphone 5 and iphone 6 on creigslist priced reasonably.
Thanks.

#8  impasto 08-30-2020, 01:39 PM
Quote impasto
I understand what the problem is but not entirely.
ok, I figured it out.
For the benefit of future self publishers:
The current Kindle app for iPhone requires iOS 12 or later. The oldest iPhone that supports iOS12 is iPhone 5s.

#9  Hitch 09-01-2020, 09:20 AM
Quote impasto
I understand what the problem is but not entirely. I thought to buy a used iphone, do factory reset, create a new apple account. Then I would install a kindle app. I wouldnt install a sim card, as I would use it with wifi or usb cable only.
I would think Kindle app should be still supported on iphone5 or iphone6, correct?
Fyi, I've never used an iphone

Is there a problem with this scenario?
I see used iphone 5 and iphone 6 on creigslist priced reasonably.
Thanks.
What is it, precisely, that you're trying to accomplish? I mean...sure, I get it, you want to check your book, but you can check it on a Droid phone. The iOS rendering is slightly different, but not that much.

MOREOVER, you can't actually preview your Kindle eBook--your MOBI--on an iOS competently. If you side-load a MOBI, what you see won't be remotely accurate. The only way to do that would be to sideload an AZK file, via iTunes and that's...well, suffice to say, that's not a lot of fun. It's laborious and time-consuming and if you make tweaks and changes, even more so.

What is it, exactly, that you believe that KP3 is not showing you?

Hitch

#10  impasto 09-01-2020, 03:07 PM
Well, my test book looks fine on Android phone kindle and KP3, but I also got somebody load it onto an older Kindle reader. There are multiple problems on this Kindle reader, which makes me believe I need to test on several devices. The minimum set imo is: iphone, kindle ereader and android phone.
Now, I cant decide which kindle reader to buy: the latest paperwhite or used generation 7? I cant buy every device available on the market...

In any case, I appreciate the comments you guys get me!

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register