Mobileread
kindlegen availability
#1  jhowell 08-21-2020, 10:36 AM
I noticed that Amazon is no longer making kindlegen available as a standalone program. The web page that used to host kindlegen now says:

KindleGen is no longer available for download. Please use Kindle Previewer to convert, preview, and validate your eBooks.
Kindlegen is actually a part of the Kindle Previewer and the CLI can still be invoked if you track down where the Kindle Previewer installer puts it. The main things missing with that approach are 32-bit OS support and and Linux support.

#2  Doitsu 08-21-2020, 01:49 PM
The links are gone, but the files can still be downloaded from Amazon's server:

Windows
macOS
Linux

Kindle Previewer users can find the latest version in the following folders:

Code
C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin\kindlegen.exe
Code
/Applications/Kindle Previewer 3.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/fc/bin/kindlegen

#3  hobnail 08-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Thanks.

I'm guessing that when you use Kindle Previewer that it makes the "triple" MOBI that includes the EPUB. With the standalone Kindlegen you can give it a flag to make it not include the EPUB.

#4  JSWolf 08-21-2020, 05:03 PM
Kindlegen has no changed in at least 7 years. The version I have is 2.9 and it's the same version in the links given by Doitsu.

#5  jhowell 08-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Quote JSWolf
Kindlegen has no changed in at least 7 years. The version I have is 2.9 and it's the same version in the links given by Doitsu.
I think it unlikely that kindlegen ever will be updated again. The MOBI and KF8 renderers have been frozen for years and all new development by Amazon is going into the KFX converter and renderer.

#6  Doitsu 08-21-2020, 11:01 PM
Quote hobnail
I'm guessing that when you use Kindle Previewer that it makes the "triple" MOBI that includes the EPUB. With the standalone Kindlegen you can give it a flag to make it not include the EPUB.
Shameless plug: You can use my Sigil KindleGen plugin to generate .mobi file without attached source files as well as .azw3 files. (It'll automatically use the Kindlegen binary bundled with Kindle Previewer.)
If jhowell's excellent Calibre KFX plugin is installed, you can also generate .kfx files.

#7  mexofeed1 08-25-2020, 07:00 PM
Quote Doitsu
The links are gone, but the files can still be downloaded from Amazon's server:

Windows
macOS
Linux
The Linux link gives me an Access Denied error. Luckily, the Internet Archive mirrored it in 2015.

#8  jhowell 09-25-2020, 03:35 AM
Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.45. It now warns you with a popup that you should not publish using MOBI files:

NOTE: Please use your original source file (EPUB or DOCX) for publishing. This MOBI file should only be used for testing on older devices that do not support Enhanced Typesetting.
mobi-export.jpg 

#9  m22chan 09-30-2020, 04:09 PM
Pardon me. I'm new here, but I just received the same warning popup as jhowell above.

I'm confused by what the message is trying to convey: Amazon doesn't sell EPUB (or DOCX, for that matter) version books. So is there a different tool that should be used to convert EPUBs into an Amazon supported format?

#10  binaryhermit 09-30-2020, 04:24 PM
I think Amazon prefers to convert the source EPUB or DOCX themselves.

Which would let them convert it to any hypothetical future format they support.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register