Mobileread
PDF cropping software: BRISS
#11  laborg 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Suprise! Another release (0.0.5)

No new functionality but got rid of two bugs.

Good night,
Gerhard

#12  ab7vf 05-12-2010, 04:19 AM
OK! Its working again .. ran about 20 conversions through it and no hiccups whatsoever..
Thanks for your effort on this, Jim

#13  laborg 05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi all!

With release 0.0.6 you can now crop various regions of a page (=>multi colum support). The result will include a new page for every selected region. Since it's not a image based approach the resulting PDFs file size doesn't increase even if the cropped version has many more pages).

Good night,
Gerhard

image »

#14  frabjous 05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Fun little tool you've got here. Thanks a lot.

I have two feature requests.

Firstly, the tool strips the metadata from the PDF. (Subject, author, title, etc.) Is there any way it could be preserved? (Or even an option offered to add it if it's not there already?)

Secondly--although admittedly this might be very hard to implement--could there be an option to force all pages to be the same size? Suppose, e.g., you're cropping a two column PDF. Unless you've got steady hands, probably the boxes you select won't be precisely the same, which might result in a slight zoom-level variation on devices that zoom each page to fit the device, which could be distracting. You could, e.g., force all pages into the size of the largest selection.

A less alternative to this might be to show the dimensions of each selection box while you were selecting the region, so you could manually ensure that they were the same.

But this is a great tool, and I'm happy to have it, even without these features.

#15  laborg 05-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote frabjous
Firstly, the tool strips the metadata from the PDF. (Subject, author, title, etc.) Is there any way it could be preserved? (Or even an option offered to add it if it's not there already?)

Secondly--although admittedly this might be very hard to implement--could there be an option to force all pages to be the same size? Suppose, e.g., you're cropping a two column PDF. Unless you've got steady hands, probably the boxes you select won't be precisely the same, which might result in a slight zoom-level variation on devices that zoom each page to fit the device, which could be distracting. You could, e.g., force all pages into the size of the largest selection.
I wasn't aware of the fact that it cuts away the metadata - i will have to look at that.
The second feature is actually one I've already implemented in an earlier version but dropped it. I will try to solve it for 0.0.7.

greetings,
Gerhard

#16  MarionM 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM
the rss-feature didn't work at the download page in my browser. Is there another manner for getting new releases?

#17  slex 05-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote frabjous

A less alternative to this might be to show the dimensions of each selection box while you were selecting the region, so you could manually ensure that they were the same.

But this is a great tool, and I'm happy to have it, even without these features.
I second that. It would be good to have some option to set the boxes on even and odd pages to be of the same size. Probably the box selection from the previous page can be shown with color lines, and when you reach them, the mouse could become sticky.

Another suggestion I would make is that probably zoom feature is introduced.

And if possible to make exception of some pages - e.g. some two-column articles have an abstract that spans the width of two columns and sometimes there are full-width tables in the text.

Also I think it would be good to have the possibility to resize a selection.

However this seems to be a very good tool, as it is fast and the option of having even/odd pages distinction is very useful. The above should be considered recommendations for further improvement, not criticism.

#18  =X= 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Awesome probably one of the best PDF cropping tools out today. It is very fast and easy to use. The GUI really is a time saver.

Issues
You have some algorithm that helps you categorize/group pages. I've notices some pages don't quit fit, they're usually the title pages and table of content that extend beyond the margins. It would be nice if the software got smarter about detecting these pages or better yet allow the user to select which pages do not fit the criteria and allow us to remove it from the page group into their own group.

Feature enhancements:
SoPDF had this feature that allowed the user to concatenate pages and crop only on the width. This feature had real potential since it made the fonts larger and easier to read. The problem with how soPDF implemented the feature was difficult to read. Since there was no way to crop the header and footer of the PD, they took up anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the page. With this tool that is quit possible making such a feature very feasible since the user can now remove the header and footers.

#19  laborg 05-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Hi!

Your Feedback and feature request help me a lot to understand what the software should do - Thank you.

Currently I'm working on a version which will support setting different crop rectangles to the maximum width or height of all selected crop rectangles, so that the font size should be equal among all pages. Further more the dimension of the last crop-rectangle will overlaid when you draw a new rectangle. This should support you in getting the the crop rectangles the same size from the beginning on.

The feature of excluding a single page from a page cluster will take more time, but I have a solution in mind which should do job without performance loss.

Have a nice day,
Gerhard

#20  laborg 05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
New release is out 0.0.7

From the changelog:
* Meta information is copied to the cropped file
* Small visual fix in progress bar
* Ghost rectangle shows the size of the last drawn crop rectangle (for people who want to have equally sized pages)
* Dragging of crop rectangles (press and hold the mouse button inside a crop rectangle)
* Single removal of crop rectangles by pressing the right mouse button inside the rectangle to be deleted
* Selected crop rectangles (=>ctrl+left mouse click into the rectangle) can be sized to the maximum of all selected widths/heights.

next release will offer excluding pages from clusters...

Nice day,
Gerhard

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/33)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register