Mobileread
Vidme video sharing site
#1  pdurrant 07-25-2021, 09:39 AM
The defunct Vidme video sharing site has been taken over by an unrelated company which is displaying videos unsuitable for links from MobileRead. Link to techspot article.

All links to the vid.me domain have now been removed from MobileRead and replaced with [deleted vidme link]

#2  binaryhermit 07-25-2021, 11:23 AM
How many links are we talking.

Obviously, you probably don't have an exact number, but a ballpark estimate would do.

I mean, I hadn't heard of vidme before this... ahem... incident, so I'm not terribly surprised it's defunct now.

#3  pdurrant 07-25-2021, 11:32 AM
Quote binaryhermit
How many links are we talking.

Obviously, you probably don't have an exact number, but a ballpark estimate would do.

I mean, I hadn't heard of vidme before this... ahem... incident, so I'm not terribly surprised it's defunct now.
Less than 30. And all in old posts, as it's been defunct for some time now. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

#4  binaryhermit 07-25-2021, 11:38 AM
Somewhat offtopic, but I'm kinda wondering how much legal liability this company might be under as exposing someone to this sort of content unexpectedly is potentially illegal, especially if the exposed individual is a minor.

#5  pdurrant 07-25-2021, 12:47 PM
Quote binaryhermit
Somewhat offtopic, but I'm kinda wondering how much legal liability this company might be under as exposing someone to this sort of content unexpectedly is potentially illegal, especially if the exposed individual is a minor.
No idea. None at all, I'd hope. Especially since they are no longer here, and were always just links, not embedded video.

#6  binaryhermit 07-25-2021, 05:37 PM
I meant, the liability the site that bought vidme's domain and started serving adult content instead of the content they were supposed to

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register