Mobileread
Lost series info on Kobo Libra
#1  JJ Johnson 07-03-2020, 02:34 AM
I have several Michael Connelly books from the Harry Bosch detective series. In Calibre they appear to have the series correctly labeled. And when I originally loaded them onto my Kobo Libra, in the device's interface they showed the series names/numbers correctly. But somewhere along the line, all of that series data disappeared from the Libra. I can't say for certain, but it appears to be the only series data that was lost on the device.

Trying to fix it, I went into Calibre, deleted the books from the device and reloaded them. But the series info still doesn't appear on the device.

How can I fix this?

#2  JJ Johnson 07-03-2020, 02:42 AM
Ah, well... I think I figured this out, from a seven year old thread in the forums.

So, I guess that when you first load a book onto the device, the series info can't be sent. Then you have to send the book again, and the series info is sent?? Something like that. I don't understand how it worked before (or why the data was lost), but this isn't the first time I've sent books to the device multiple times, so maybe I just lucked into it before.

#3  ps67 07-03-2020, 03:22 AM
To see the series information on Your Kobo You must plug again Your Kobo to Your PC with calibre working, not to send the book again. It is different.

You send the book, then exit Kobo, plug in again and when You exit You will see series information (if You want to it immediately). You have to configure the plugin to update metadata on device.
see:
Kobo icon>driver>configure current driver>metadata on device and advanced

#4  JSWolf 07-03-2020, 05:43 AM
Quote ps67
To see the series information on Your Kobo You must plug again Your Kobo to Your PC with calibre working, not to send the book again. It is different.

You send the book, then exit Kobo, plug in again and when You exit You will see series information (if You want to it immediately). You have to configure the plugin to update metadata on device.
see:
Kobo icon>driver>configure current driver>metadata on device and advanced
he best way to do this is using NickelMenu. You can configure it so after you eject and see the home screen, you can setup an option to bring up the USB connect option and connect again without the need to unplug the USB cable. It works very well and saves wear and tear on the USB port of the Kobo and/or the computer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525

#5  DNSB 07-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Quote JJ Johnson
I have several Michael Connelly books from the Harry Bosch detective series. In Calibre they appear to have the series correctly labeled. And when I originally loaded them onto my Kobo Libra, in the device's interface they showed the series names/numbers correctly. But somewhere along the line, all of that series data disappeared from the Libra. I can't say for certain, but it appears to be the only series data that was lost on the device.

Trying to fix it, I went into Calibre, deleted the books from the device and reloaded them. But the series info still doesn't appear on the device.

How can I fix this?
Basically, as the other replies have suggested, it is a 2 step process. The first step sends the ebook to your device. Once you disconnect, the ebook will be imported which creates the database entry for the book. On the second connect, the metadata will be sent and the database entry will be updated for series, etc. You do not have to resend the book on the second pass.

The best way to handle sending the metadata is to open Sending books to device in calibre's Preferences and set Metadata management to Automatic Management and in the driver configuration, on the Metadata, on device and advanced tab, that Update metadata on the device and Set Series Information are checked. This will automatically update the metadata when you connect your device.

#6  theducks 07-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Quote JJ Johnson
Ah, well... I think I figured this out, from a seven year old thread in the forums.

So, I guess that when you first load a book onto the device, the series info can't be sent. Then you have to send the book again, and the series info is sent?? Something like that. I don't understand how it worked before (or why the data was lost), but this isn't the first time I've sent books to the device multiple times, so maybe I just lucked into it before.
If you make changes before you send again, it may treat the new send as a New book, thus needing a second connect to update that book.
The reason 2 connects, is the books entry has not been made into the Kobo's DB until you disconnect (then you may see a process progress bar if you send multiple books)

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register