Mobileread
Calibre 5 Python 3 and Windows 7
#1  BCCISProf 01-20-2021, 04:49 PM
I am aware that Calibre 5 requires Windows 8 or above.

However, if *I was to install Python 3.x on a Windows 7 machine would Calibre 5 work?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2  PeterT 01-20-2021, 05:03 PM
It's got nothing to do with Python (which is bundled in with the calibre installation). Rather it has to do with video card drivers and the underlying QT framework that calibre is built on.

#3  DNSB 01-20-2021, 05:41 PM
There have been several people who have reported success running calibre 5 with Windows 7. The problem is that it is a crap shoot in that the initial install might work but a calibre update with a QT update may break the install. Check the issues with QT and even relatively recent video cards/drivers for one reason.

#4  DaySleeper 01-30-2021, 11:15 PM
I am using 5.7.2 with Windows 7, so far no problems. What is "QT" ? Because of the cautions posted on using Calibre 5 with Win7, I am using the portable version - not sure if that makes any difference.

#5  PeterT 01-30-2021, 11:35 PM
Simply put QT is the underlying graphical interface framework used by calibre.

#6  Quoth 01-31-2021, 01:59 PM
You can't know till you try. Even if it doesn't work, or does, changing a video card setting can swap the situation.

Dual boot Linux Mint 19.3 or 20.0 with Mate Desktop, add extra themes and icons via built in Software manager, select TraditionalOK Theme, Win ME window decoration and Oxygen Icons. Calibre for Linux then runs fine as do Browsers safe for the Internet.

Or if the Win7 uses regular Boot, rather than EFI (even if PC has EFI), there is a free MS tool to copy the existing disk to an external USB Disk for OpenBox VM. Then use a NEW or SPARE HDD in the laptop/PC (so you can revert). The Win7 then can be loaded as a VM via Openbox on a fresh Linux install. My old DELL XP laptop lives on this way on my Lenovo laptop with Linux only.

#7  alumoi 02-05-2021, 07:38 AM
I just install 4.32 then extract the files from 5.x msi and move them over to the current install.
So far so good.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register