Mobileread
KOReader vs patched Nickel?
#1  Uncle Robin 01-08-2021, 06:15 AM
I've reached a point where I'm comfortable with the idea of installing KOReader on my Libra, but I'm curious about what advantages it offers over Nickel with the handful of patches I enable.

First, I NEVER read PDFs on my Libra - nunca, jamais, mai, niemals, not ever. I have the impression that PDF reading is a major part of KOReader's raison d'ĂȘtre.

Second, I read with headers and footers off - only the progress bar showing.

Third, I have advanced font control for sideloaded fonts enabled.

Given those contextual details, what am I missing out on by not using KOReader?

#2  Jellby 01-08-2021, 06:36 AM
In-page footnotes (as "real" footnotes, no need to tap anything)
Better annotation and dictionary/search experience (at least if you can find good enough dictioaries)
More flexible style tweaking, if you want to
Possibility of skipping non-linear sections (if defined in the book)

But the CSS support is a bit worse (e.g., no max/min width/height)

#3  Alan_S 01-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Quote Uncle Robin
Given those contextual details, what am I missing out on by not using KOReader?
Why you think you're missing anything out? If you're satisfied with software you're using, where's the problem?

I wasn't satisfied with nickel, I tried koreader (I also try to avoid pdf as much as I can) and I was ... well, it was sort of love at first sight.

But, I can't tell you what you're missing out. Some of the features that blew my mind may leave you totally unimpressed.

I think that there's only one thing you should do: Try and see. Or, of course, don't. Whatever. I'm really not one to tell you if you're missing anything in your life.

#4  Uncle Robin 01-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Quote Jellby
In-page footnotes (as "real" footnotes, no need to tap anything)

Thanks for your detailed and helpful response Jellby. It has strengthened my belief that there is little advantage for me in using KOReader. The new stock Kobo dictionary is so much better than the old one that it meets my needs, and the first point you list (quoted above) is an active turn-off for me - I like having footnotes hidden until tapped, saving screen real estate for the body of the text while still letting me read the footnotes if I choose to.

I genuinely appreciate your reply because it was exactly the sort of helpful response I was hoping for. I'd wondered if there was feature of KOReader that would make me think "woss I gotta have that!" and so asked as I did.

#5  pazos 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM
@Uncle Robin: Yup. Most people that are fine with their current reader don't need to use KOReader.

Anyways, KO is a power tool, not exactly consumer friendly, but all these things can be enabled or disabled at user will. That's the whole point of it.

Some screenshots about the style tweaks feature that could give you a hint of the tweakable nature of that specific feature:

1. landing page of style tweaks
2. text tweaks
3. misc tweaks
4. misc tweaks -> footnotes

And that's is just a part of the picture. There're plenty of things that most users won't need (including full text translation, html/css viewer, user specific style tweaks, reading stats as the screensaver, the ability to apply different css styles based on the path of the file or changing a bunch of settings with a single gesture. These to name a few)

For most people I know recommending KOReader as a reader is almost the same as recommending GIMP as a picture viewer. It is a bit overkill and there're simpler, easier, better looking tools to do that job
landing.png text.png misc.png footnotes.png 

#6  Uncle Robin 01-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Quote pazos
For most people I know recommending KOReader as a reader is almost the same as recommending GIMP as a picture viewer. It is a bit overkill and there're simpler, easier, better looking tools to do that job

As an occasional GIMP user, that's a great analogy, thanks! The full text translation does sound interesting, though.

#7  Jellby 01-08-2021, 03:48 PM
Quote Uncle Robin
and the first point you list (quoted above) is an active turn-off for me - I like having footnotes hidden until tapped
If it wasn't clear, that's an option. You can choose to have footnotes as plain end-notes or whatever they are in the book.

#8  Jellby 01-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Oh, something else I forgot:

True smallcaps with the right font. And I don't mean an embedded smallcaps font, but the true smallcaps for whichever font you choose for your main text.

#9  pazos 01-08-2021, 03:53 PM
Yup. The other side of the story are a few of us, accustomed to KOReader, facing a Kindle/Kobo stock and thinking a bit about MS Paint.

#10  Uncle Robin 01-08-2021, 03:59 PM
I wonder if a more informative question might have been: "What's your tinkering-to-reading ratio?"

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register