Mobileread
What Features or Tools does Sigil Still Need Yet?
#1  KevinH 12-14-2020, 07:36 PM
With the release of Sigil-1.4.3, DiapDealer and I have achieved all of my personal goals for Sigil including:

- entity preservation
- plugin interface and embedded python3 engine
- community of plugin developers and plugins
- html5/gumbo parser integration to better handle broken code
- epub3 support while keeping full epub2 support
- support custom epub layout- no more forcing epubs into a "standard" layout
- mathml support via MathJax
- QtWebEngine port
- stripping out BookView into a separate app called PageEdit
- dark and light mode support
- multiple language spellchecking
- checkpointing (via an interface to git) to make saving any restoring very easy
- overall stability and crash prevention improvements
- more timely bug/issue resolution
- continuous improvement systems for build testing for Windows and Mac
- improved relationship with Linux distributions
- better build documentation for all platforms
- maintain a vibrant User Community and Forums on Mobileread
- help make consistent and timely releases
- allow users to specify their own icon sets
- rework the user interface to be more configurable

So my to-do list is now pretty much empty after about 5 years of effort. So we (or I as I can not speak for DiapDealer here as he may have his own list) are open to new feature or tool suggestions ...

But please **before** making a suggestion:
- make sure it would be useful to a wide variety of users
- it could not be done better in a plugin
- it can not be done better with the current "open-with"
- it can be done on all 3 main platforms: Linux, MacOS, Windows

So if you think you have a killer feature or tool that would benefit many users of Sigil, please use this thread to to suggest and explain it, justifying why it would help.

If there turns out to be a user consensus on a few of these, we can add them to our to-do list for the next 5 years - but no promises!

Thanks!

#2  odamizu 12-15-2020, 12:41 AM
Quote KevinH
With the release of Sigil-1.4.3, DiapDealer and I have achieved all of my personal goals for Sigil ...

So my to-do list is now pretty much empty after about 5 years of effort.
Congratulations! and

#3  Hitch 12-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Quote odamizu
Congratulations! and
Let me add my congratulations to that and thank you more than I can possibly express. (I'm also boggled that it's been five years! Gadzooks, where does the time fly?) My shop uses it every single day and it's been invaluable to me, personally, too.

You and Diap saved Sigil. No two ways about it. Well done, guys.

Hitch

#4  Quoth 12-15-2020, 10:02 AM
Quote odamizu
Congratulations! and
Yes! I agree.

#5  pete6055 12-15-2020, 02:48 PM
Great!
But how about:
- an indicator on the status bar when an epub is in Sigil Standard format (though one can usually tell by the cover page file path), or give us a preference setting on open.
- knock out the fix declaration Y/N if mend on open is in preferences.

Of course; Sigil remains one of my favorite tools with or without any additional enhancements. You have all done a great job!

#6  latepaul 12-15-2020, 03:18 PM
It needs to be able to read email of course.

#7  Thasaidon 12-15-2020, 09:57 PM
My Feeling is there is very little that needs to be added to Sigil.

What I does seem to need work is the manual. It would be a lot of work for one person to redo the whole manual.

My suggestion is that if you could make a list of the manual sections that need most work, also Sigil has a lot of features and people may only be familiar with the subset they use. People may then more willing to take on help if it is about a feature they use and less daunting than taking on the whole manual.

#8  Ashjuk 12-16-2020, 05:19 AM
Kevin,

As a relative newcomer to using Sigil I still have to fully explore its capabilities so I don't know if there is anything that needs to be added - it's probably there anyway.

All I would like to say is thank you to both yourself and DiapDealer for this excellent program - I really appreciate your efforts.

#9  Banjo 12-16-2020, 08:56 AM
I would also like to add my thanks to Kevin and DiapDealer for Sigil, a marvelous tool.

#10  KevinH 12-16-2020, 09:23 AM
Quote Thasaidon
What I does seem to need work is the manual. It would be a lot of work for one person to redo the whole manual.

My suggestion is that if you could make a list of the manual sections that need most work, also Sigil has a lot of features and people may only be familiar with the subset they use. People may then more willing to take on help if it is about a feature they use and less daunting than taking on the whole manual.
Excellent suggestion and one I agree with whole heartedly. Given the changes almost all of the screenshots must be redone. But unfortunately given the multiple icon sets that can now be used, that is no longer straight forward. And given how customizable the Tool bar icons are, two screen shots can look very different.

Next »  Last »  (1/17)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register