Mobileread
Root for Note Air 2?
#1  downeaster59 11-22-2021, 10:27 AM
I'm curious if anyone has attempted to root their Note Air 2. I'm guessing that the process would be similar to what others have described for other Onyx devices on this forum. I wondered if rooting the Note Air 2 would even be worth the effort, but I can see a couple of possibilities.

If anyone has experience or suggestions, please pass them on.

#2  Renate 11-22-2021, 11:15 AM
If you have ADB working, please try this: (Sorry if I've asked this already.)
Code
C:\>adb shell grep Hardware /proc/cpuinfo
My Poke3 says: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc SDM636

If it's the same (or close), you can use EDL mode to download and subsequently modify the boot image.

#3  downeaster59 11-22-2021, 12:09 PM
What I get is Qualcomm Technologies, Inc BENGAL

Not sure how close that is!

#4  Renate 11-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Huh? It seems that's a code name for the new Snapdragon 662
There's a 660 driver here https://github.com/bkerler/Loaders/tree/main/qualcomm/factory
Not sure how compatible that is.

#5  downeaster59 11-22-2021, 12:51 PM
I’ve never worked with EDL mode before. Do you know of some kind of step-by-step guide as to how I’d root my device this way? I assume it involves Magisk and getting a boot image!

#6  Renate 11-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Rule #1: There is no need to write anything to flash. You can run a boot image that is not in flash, so hold off writing anything.

Rule #2: If you've got the space, make a full backup on your desktop, then you're bomb-proof.

Do you have ADB working? Have you used UsbView.exe (presuming that you are running Windows? Linux is actually easier with lsusb.)

Step #1: Determine if you can get to EDL. This does no harm but you will have to do a LONG power press to restore usage.
Code
C:\>adb reboot edl
Does it go off into voodoo-land but the screen remains the same (frozen)?
Does UsbView.exe show VID/PID 05c6/9008? That's EDL mode.

If you want you can use my UsbLog.exe which is found on my website up a level, down to the Windows section. It's quite handy to figure out where all the Windows "bongs" are coming from.

#7  downeaster59 11-22-2021, 03:20 PM
Quote Renate
Rule #1: There is no need to write anything to flash. You can run a boot image that is not in flash, so hold off writing anything.

Rule #2: If you've got the space, make a full backup on your desktop, then you're bomb-proof.

Do you have ADB working? Have you used UsbView.exe (presuming that you are running Windows? Linux is actually easier with lsusb.)

Step #1: Determine if you can get to EDL. This does no harm but you will have to do a LONG power press to restore usage.
Code
C:\>adb reboot edl
Does it go off into voodoo-land but the screen remains the same (frozen)?
Does UsbView.exe show VID/PID 05c6/9008? That's EDL mode.

If you want you can use my UsbLog.exe which is found on my website up a level, down to the Windows section. It's quite handy to figure out where all the Windows "bongs" are coming from.
I have a Mac that has a Windows VM on it. This may or may not complicate the process. I haven't done anything yet! I could set up an Ubuntu VM if that would make anything easier - and assuming that the Ubuntu VM can connect with the Note Air.

I have ADB working on Mac and have ample room on my Mac to back up my Note Air 2. I set up ADB on my Windows VM, but I haven't been able to get Windows to see my Note Air 2 yet. That keeps me from using USBView. There is probably a Mac alternative out there.

I tried adb reboot edl. It goes the voodoo-land route. I was able to reboot it into normal mode before too long.

That's where things are as of now.

#8  Renate 11-22-2021, 04:56 PM
The Mac is fine. Stick with that and skip the VM stuff.
You can run "lsusb -v" on the command line and look for the 9008=good, 900e=not good.

If you have that you can follow the instructions here for install: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

Code
python edl.py --loader=try-that-660-file.bin --memory=emmc
python edl.py print-gpt --memory=emmc
python edl.py r boot boot.img --memory=emmc

#9  downeaster59 11-22-2021, 07:34 PM
Quote Renate
The Mac is fine. Stick with that and skip the VM stuff.
You can run "lsusb -v" on the command line and look for the 9008=good, 900e=not good.

If you have that you can follow the instructions here for install: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

Code
python edl.py --loader=try-that-660-file.bin --memory=emmc
python edl.py print-gpt --memory=emmc
python edl.py r boot boot.img --memory=emmc
When I ran "lsusb -v", I didn't see (exactly) either alternative you gave! here's what I got:

USB 3.1 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleT8103USBXHCI

BENGAL-IDP _SN:C3253440:

Product ID: 0x4ee2
Vendor ID: 0x18d1 (Google Inc.)
Version: 4.19
Serial Number: XXXXXXXX
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/s
Manufacturer: QUALCOMM
Location ID: 0x00200000 / 1
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 896
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

#10  Renate 11-22-2021, 08:31 PM
Yeah, but you have to do that when you're in EDL mode!

Next »  Last »  (1/17)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register