Mobileread
Where does Reader for PC store files?
#1  redbees 06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Where does Reader for PC store .epub files on a Windows 7 computer? I bought some books from Google Play which open with Reader for PC and I wish to back them up, and I cannot locate where RfPC stores them. They are not in the same place as the old Sony program, Reader Library, used to put them. I have looked everywhere in the Documents sections of my Win7 pc.

I realize I can drag the files directly to Calibre from Downloads, but really want to know where these files are stored. Thanks.

#2  AndrewH 06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Books\Reader

#3  redbees 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks!

Seemingly that is only for books purchased from Sony, rather than books opened with their software. I found that location, but the books purchased from Google, opened with Reader aren't there, and that made me think I was in the wrong place. Whew, I don't have to wonder about this any longer.

#4  GeckoFriend 06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote redbees
Thanks!

Seemingly that is only for books purchased from Sony, rather than books opened with their software. I found that location, but the books from Google, and opened with Reader aren't there, and that made me think I was in the wrong place. Whew, I don't have to wonder about this any longer.
I purchase books from Kobo and they show up in that same directory.

#5  redbees 06-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Hmmm.

I suppose I shouldn't frustrate myself by continuing to think about this. I assume you don't have Kobo's software on your computer. I have Kobo for PC or whatever their software is called, so I can't test whether their books will go to Sony's directory for me. I will just try to be glad that I got the books into Calibre, and now they are backed up.

Thanks for your response.

#6  Cdesja5 06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Kobo books if downloaded from the web can also go into the ADE folder which is generally in My Documents / my digital editions unless you've got the Sony Reader selected to open all acsm files by default. I don't use the Sony Reader software on my pc except for firmware updates so everything opens in Adobe.

#7  JSWolf 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Since you don't have a T1, I suggest uninstalling Reader for PC and installing Reader Library. Reader Library works much better for the 950 and the 650.

#8  redbees 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
JSWolf,

I formerly used Reader Library for downloading Sony books, and liked it well enough, though generally I transfer books to my readers using Calibre. I installed Reader for PC when it came out, and dislike it. I have never uninstalled Reader Library, but when I tried to open it today, I got a message saying that the program couldn't open because a .dll file was missing. I searched for the program online so I could reinstall, but didn't find it. I wonder if Reader for PC at some point incapacitated Reader Library. (This thought is probably ridiculously paranoid, but...) If you know where I can download Reader Library, please let me know. I had thought that both programs could coexist peaceably on my computer and had not bothered to delete the inconvenient new Reader for PC.

Chantal,
Really, I just need one program to open the few books I buy from Sony, and the decreasing number of books I buy from Kobo now that many publishers aren't allowing use of Kobo's discounts, and should probably just change the .ascm file association to ADE.

#9  JSWolf 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I've found what you are looking for. Here is the link to Reader Library.

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/ebooklibrary/3.3.00.07130_PC/ReaderLibraryInstaller_3.3.00.07130.exe

#10  Cdesja5 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote redbees
Chantal,
Really, I just need one program to open the few books I buy from Sony, and the decreasing number of books I buy from Kobo now that many publishers aren't allowing use of Kobo's discounts, and should probably just change the .ascm file association to ADE.
I just open all my DRM'd books in ADE (except for Amazon purchases of course) and then put them into Calibre. I used to buy with the Sony software and store books with it for my prs-505 but then I discovered Calibre and there's no going back!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register