Mobileread
jefftheworld's Kobo Vox Guides
#71  Cdesja5 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote Swicks01
Thanks. I found a few programs that claim to remove the DRM. Hopefully one of them will work
I have the name of one that absolutely works...PM me for it. It's not free however...

#72  mr_nobody 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote Denbeau
Pls forgive a newbie question (this is my 1st post); I followed Jefftheworld's advice on rooting my Kobo Vox, and then tried to follow the instructions on removing apps. I downloaded and installed ConnectBot and BusyBox (in that order); everything seemed to work as intended. However, when I now run ConnectBot and select 'local' (from a pulldown), I get the display:
Connecting to null:22 via local
failure: Local shell is unavailable on this phone

Any ideas? ... thanks
I had that error originally too. It had to do with the wrong version of busybox being installed or busybox not being installed properly. Reinstalling and choosing a different version fixed it.

That being said, unless you are a masochist, I would suggest using es file explorer in root mode to rename/delete apps. Much easier than typing in the horrible connectbot window.

#73  Kraftie 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Your instructions are clear and easy to follow but with all due respect, (and as a complete and utter noob) I'm just wondering how rooting the device makes it better. Does it improve functionality and if so, how?

Quote jefftheworld
I'm going to use this thread to put up various guides on customizing your Kobo Vox. I'll rank them in two areas; expertise required and my opinion on how vital it is to making the Vox better)

Each tutorial will list all the tools you need and tell you if you need to complete another one or more of the other tutorials first. I will use as many screenshots as I can and try to make it as simple as possible.

Keep coming back here as I'll be adding content as much as I can!

Table of Contents:

1. Rooting your Vox (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: critical)
2. Unrooting your Vox (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: ???)
3. Removing unwanted apps manually (Expersise: Intermediate, Importance: moderate)

Coming soon:
4. Removing unwanted apps automatically (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: moderate)

#74  mr_nobody 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Quote Kraftie
Your instructions are clear and easy to follow but with all due respect, (and as a complete and utter noob) I'm just wondering how rooting the device makes it better. Does it improve functionality and if so, how?
Well, for example if you want android market access and don't want to resort to adb, you need to root. And that's just one example.

#75  Jesslynne 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Another is that it gives you access to remove the bloater apps it comes with that you don't want/use that take up space that could otherwise be used for apps you do use.

#76  oldyellr 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I haven't rooted mine and have no desire to. One disadvantage I can see from reading this forum is that whenever there's an update, you first have to un-root it to update the Vox and then go back through all the work again to customize it and remove the default apps all over again.

#77  mr_nobody 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote oldyellr
I haven't rooted mine and have no desire to. One disadvantage I can see from reading this forum is that whenever there's an update, you first have to un-root it to update the Vox and then go back through all the work again to customize it and remove the default apps all over again.
The "unroot before update" part is apparently a myth brought over from ios jailbreaking. It is true you have to remove the default apps again but using es file explorer, this is 5 minutes work and you _can_ remove them again which you can't without root. Another option (if you simply don't want to see the default apps or allow them to run but don't care about recovering their space) would be to freeze them using titanium backup. This would survive an update and again would require root.

#78  BWinmill 01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote Kraftie
If you can't think of a use for rooting your device, then you probably won't appreciate the improved functionality.

As far as I can tell, most apps can be installed without resorting to root. Also as far as I can tell, adb also gives you root access to the device. Which means that you don't actually need to root a Vox to modify it. I'm guessing that covers the most common cases where people want to do more with their device.

#79  suedenim 01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
So I came across this...

http://lifehacker.com/5877356/qtadb-brings-android-file-management-app-installation-and-more-to-your-desktop

Haven't tried it yet but it looks promising.

#80  bitterbug 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
This is strange. My device is rooted, and I've tried all 4 versions of Busybox that were in the original guide, yet when I attempt to connect with ConnectBot it tells me that local shell is unavailable.

I figure I'd just use ES File Explorer and remove the bloatware that way, yet even after putting it in root mode and making /system writable uninstallation fails.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (8/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register