Mobileread
Mini Kobo Mini mandatory update
#61  oswaldcaine 04-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Hello Eveyrone! Happy Easter!!!

I am new in this forum.

Here is my story. I bought a second hand kobo mini.

I made the connection with the Windows kodo desktop (wifi is obviously not working because of the new upgrade). I could buy some books from kobo, upload them, could see them on my kobo. No problem until now...

BUT...

My problem is to upload free ebooks from Project gutenberg and similar free classical ebook websites.

I am unable to add this kind of epub to my kobo. I mean I could drag and drop them (somewhere as I used to do with my old classic 1st gen kobo that doesn't work anymore) but don't know where to exactly put them to be able to see/read them on my kobo. Any help??

Can anyone tell me if I can do this? if Yes, under which repertory/Folder?
If NO, how can I manage this (knowing that I tried with calibre, but it seems to me its not compatible with the new Kobo upgrade/firmware)?

#62  DNSB 04-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Quote oswaldcaine
Hello Eveyrone! Happy Easter!!!

I am new in this forum.

Here is my story. I bought a second hand kobo mini.

I made the connection with the Windows kodo desktop (wifi is obviously not working because of the new upgrade). I could buy some books from kobo, upload them, could see them on my kobo. No problem until now...

BUT...

My problem is to upload free ebooks from Project gutenberg and similar free classical ebook websites.

I am unable to add this kind of epub to my kobo. I mean I could drag and drop them (somewhere as I used to do with my old classic 1st gen kobo that doesn't work anymore) but don't know where to exactly put them to be able to see/read them on my kobo. Any help??

If NO, how can I manage this (knowing that I tried with calibre, but it seems to me its not compatible with the new Kobo upgrade/firmware)?
Basically, don't put the ebooks in a directory with a '.' as the first character of the name. I'd suggest creating a directory called ebooks and storing your ebook files in that directory.

As for the firmware compatibility, you can use the Attempt to support newer firmware option in the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. Check the "Metadata, on device & advanced" tab in the attached image.
kobotouch_options.jpg 

#63  davidfor 04-21-2019, 11:04 PM
Quote oswaldcaine

Sideloading books to the Mini is exactly the same as any other Kobo device. Put the files where you want to, so long as the directory doesn't start with a dot.

As to calibre, if you read the message, there are instructions on how to deal with the firmware version issues. Or update calibre to the release from last week. That has support for the latest firmware and database versions.

#64  oswaldcaine 04-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Thanks a bunch.
Will do so... and let you know.

#65  Zero_Ego 06-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Quote chromatica
(first post, hi)

It sounds like the most important part of this new OTA update is that it will replace the recovery image with one that won't require the Kobo servers to run the setup wizard.

I had 4.12.12111 on my Kobo Mini, so I decided to do a factory reset to see what the recovery would do, and it reverted back to a 3.* version; so clearly all the manual 4.* updates I've been doing haven't touched the recovery partition.

So if you're running a more recent, unsupported firmware, I'd recommend you do this yourself - do a factory reset, connect it to Kobo on a computer and let it do the update (mine did an OTA update without the computer but it wasn't the 'final' one). Then you can put 4.12.12111 (or whatever) bafck on if you so choose. But without this final update, a factory reset will cause problems down the track if you need to do one, because you'll still have the old recovery partition even though your firmware is newer.

It remains to be seen whether we'll be locked out of the Kobo store after February if we're using a 4.* firmware. My guess is we won't: surely the 4.* firmware will work the same as any other Mark 4 device.
Lots of Aussies here for some reason.

Hi, Being a KM owner was curious about your post. Clearly you are stating one could run 4.12.12111 on the Kobo Mini. Are there any benefits for doing so. Would this also mean a higher demand on the CPU, translating to faster battery discharge. Do you know where I might obtain FW 4.12.12111 to give it a try. Any advice, or 'gotcha's'?

Thank you

#66  DNSB 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Quote Zero_Ego
Lots of Aussies here for some reason.

Hi, Being a KM owner was curious about your post. Clearly you are stating one could run 4.12.12111 on the Kobo Mini. Are there any benefits for doing so. Would this also mean a higher demand on the CPU, translating to faster battery discharge. Do you know where I might obtain FW 4.12.12111 to give it a try. Any advice, or 'gotcha's'?

Thank you
The Kobo Mini is a mark 4 hardware device. Basically, check geek1011's firmware download page, click on the other versions button by the Kobo Glo and download the version you want.

There have been some oddities noted but I haven't seen any showstoppers on my Kobo Mini with 4.15.12920 on it.

#67  Zero_Ego 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Quote DNSB
The Kobo Mini is a mark 4 hardware device. Basically, check geek1011's firmware download page, click on the other versions button by the Kobo Glo and download the version you want.

There have been some oddities noted but I haven't seen any showstoppers on my Kobo Mini with 4.15.12920 on it.

Just what I was looking for.

Thank you so much. Awesome

#68  Mercador 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Since the last update (of Mini), it seems it doesn't refresh the book on the cover (when the device is off). I notice also that I don't see the new books that I load using Adobe.

Have you notice this?

#69  Uschiekid 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Check that the date/time are correct. Both those issues can be caused if they are not correct. Might be some other cause though.

#70  W0lf 09-18-2019, 10:09 AM
New firmware for kobo4
https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/firmwares/kobo4/Sept2019/kobo-update-4.17.13651.zip

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (7/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register