Mobileread
Help needed converting EPUB to MOBI
#1  Will2 11-22-2020, 05:00 PM
I have an EPUB file exported from InDesign that I can't get Calibre to convert to MOBI. Every time Calibre gets 47% finished in a few seconds and then just stops there and does nothing but spin its wheels. I don't get an error message. Calibre just keeps running endlessly.

Here is where Calibre stops (on the line "Removing fake margins"):

Parsing OEBPS/Text/Investing_in_Vain-72.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Investing_in_Vain-183.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Investing_in_Vain-208.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Investing_in_Vain-51.xhtml ...
Referenced file 'OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml' not found
Reading TOC from NCX...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 158.40000pt
Removing fake margins...

#2  JSWolf 11-22-2020, 05:40 PM
Load the ePub into the Calibre editor and check for errors using the built-in error checker and epubcheck (plugin). Then fix any errors and try the conversion again.

#3  theducks 11-22-2020, 05:59 PM
47% is a Normal BIG DELAY POINT.

Other than a missing file (you should still fix that)
Let it run until it truly crashes. (dictionaries and Bibles are very common taking Days and or finally crashing. The crash just happens sooner on 32 bit systems)

#4  Will2 12-02-2020, 03:21 PM
You were right. When I let my computer keep working on the file, it eventually converted, after five hours. Unfortunately, the MOBI file Calibre produced wasn't usable. The program stripped off a lot of the formatting so the MOBI file is just a mess.

It looks like I may have a fixed-width EPUB file, not a reflowable one. I wonder if there's a way to convert fixed-width to reflowable, using Calibre.

#5  theducks 12-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Mobi does not support a lot of formatting.
AZW3 is the way to go

#6  JSWolf 12-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Quote Will2
You were right. When I let my computer keep working on the file, it eventually converted, after five hours. Unfortunately, the MOBI file Calibre produced wasn't usable. The program stripped off a lot of the formatting so the MOBI file is just a mess.

It looks like I may have a fixed-width EPUB file, not a reflowable one. I wonder if there's a way to convert fixed-width to reflowable, using Calibre.
The effort to convert that ePub is not worth the effort. The only way to do any sort of conversion will be by hand.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register