Mobileread
CBR images converted to greyscale in EPUB/AZW3 converted files
#1  csscribus 11-20-2020, 09:23 PM
Hi, I'm new here, so I hope you can forgive me for posting a question that may have been answered before.

I'm currently finishing a two-page article on Calibre for the leading Swiss magazine on print and digital publishing (publisher.ch).

Personally, I've used Calibre only for my own purposes and thought (and still think) this is an amazing piece of work. However, as someone who doesn't consume comics, I wasn't aware of Calibre's capability to open and convert comic books file formats. Since I wrote an article on Krita (https://publisher.ch/2018/02/05/mehr-als-bloss-ein-malwerkzeug-2/) for the magazine, I thought that would be an interesting aspect for the readers.

So I downloaded a CBR file and converted it to EPUB only to discover that all colour images in the ZIP container had been converted to greyscale.

Hence my question: Is this a bug or a feature?

#2  theducks 11-20-2020, 09:35 PM
OPTION
By default the Conversion option converts to B&W unless you tick the box.
Also, I believe the Device Profile may kick in (aimed at e-ink). Tablet mode should not tamper with images as much

#3  JSWolf 11-20-2020, 09:41 PM
Quote theducks
OPTION
By default the Conversion option converts to B&W unless you tick the box.
Also, I believe the Device Profile may kick in (aimed at e-ink). Tablet mode should not tamper with images as much
Tablet will not modify any images.

#4  kovidgoyal 11-20-2020, 09:58 PM
Turn off the option to do that in the comic input section of the conversion dialog. calibre is optimized for e-ink devices, hence the default of grayscaling.

#5  csscribus 11-20-2020, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your replies. This option is well-hidden.

Anyway, I can now finish the article, and believe me, it will be a praise of Calibre. Thanks a lot for your work!

#6  csscribus 12-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Hi,

The article has been printed and is now available online (in German): https://publisher.ch/2020/12/23/teil-2-e-books-mit-freier-software-calibre/

Thanks for your support!

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register