Mobileread
EPUB to DOCX with footnotes
#1  Itkin 05-19-2020, 02:11 PM
Wrong Thread, I am sorry!

Hello, I have an epub file which I want to convert to docx. The footnotes are hyperlinks in the epub file. Is there a way to convert the file with properly converted footnotes for MS Word?

#2  kovidgoyal 05-19-2020, 10:28 PM
No, I'm afraid not.

#3  JSWolf 05-20-2020, 06:40 AM
Quote Itkin
Wrong Thread, I am sorry!

Hello, I have an epub file which I want to convert to docx. The footnotes are hyperlinks in the epub file. Is there a way to convert the file with properly converted footnotes for MS Word?
Try converting the ePub to HTML and load the HTML into Word and see how that works.

#4  Winnito 11-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Wait?!

this is my first time getting stuck with the same problem...is there really no way to tell calibre when converting epub to docx to make proper footnotes/endnotes rather then hyperlinked text? I would think this was 1990 type of problem.

#5  kovidgoyal 11-19-2020, 07:22 AM
Quote Winnito
Wait?!

this is my first time getting stuck with the same problem...is there really no way to tell calibre when converting epub to docx to make proper footnotes/endnotes rather then hyperlinked text? I would think this was 1990 type of problem.
Invent a time machine, go back to 1990 and solve it then.

#6  Winnito 11-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Quote kovidgoyal
Invent a time machine, go back to 1990 and solve it then.
no need for sarcasm...this wasn't a rant against what you've built...calibre does a great job converting between so many different formats. I'm just puzzled when I encounter something which looks like a problem someone surely encountered before (even before calibre was around, I would think).

Anyways...knowing that I don't know how to fix it but also that it's not easy fixable is good enough for me at this point.

tnx Kovid for all your work.

#7  Uncle Robin 11-19-2020, 10:49 AM
Quote Winnito
Wait?!

How could converting epub to docx be a 1990 type of problem when neither epub nor docx existed in 1990?

#8  Winnito 11-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Quote Uncle Robin
How could converting epub to docx be a 1990 type of problem when neither epub nor docx existed in 1990?
It was a reference to something which seems to be around forever...like MS Word....docx is just the newest format...not even important for this conversation.

My bad if I oversimplified the whole issue. For some reason, I was sure conversion of text with notes would be more simple. I've heard there were Macro solutions, but the 2 I tried didn't really work.

#9  kovidgoyal 11-19-2020, 08:26 PM
Ebooks dont have the concept of pages, a hyperlinked footnote is really an endnote. Additionally, footnotes in ebooks are just links, and not always well encapsulated/defined. Automated translation of such endnotes to footnotes, is technically possible, but not really trivial. I dont feel like doing the work for it, but patches are most welcome.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register