Mobileread
Older Kindles losing store access in August
#51  Badcatalex 06-04-2022, 08:56 PM
Quote hleo12
This is my k4nt today. I haven't received any emails. But I guess they're only sending those to users who are in Amazon's coverage area.
I'm in the US and have a US shipping and billing address of Minnesota, I don't think it's that.
I don't use my K4NT a lot, that is probably why.

#52  JSWolf 06-05-2022, 05:02 PM
Maybe this is a ploy by Amazon to get people with these old Kindles to upgrade.

#53  DNSB 06-05-2022, 08:23 PM
Quote icedtea
Thanks for the tip - I haven't received an email. Any Canadians who got the email - can you please confirm we get NO offer at all? I know we don't have trade in, but from reddit it looks like other marketplace(s) at least got an ebook credit offer.
There is a page on amazon.ca with the offer. See: Non-Touchscreen Kindle Devices - Access to Kindle Store FAQ. The URL I used to open the page was: https://amazon.ca/OldKindleFAQ .

The offer seems to be 30% off a new Kindle (code: NEWKINDLE30) plus a $50Cdn ebook credit however you MUST have received an email from Amazon.ca to be eligible. See NEWKINDLE30 Terms and Conditions for details.

#54  issybird 06-06-2022, 07:10 AM
Quote Badcatalex
I'm in the US and have a US shipping and billing address of Minnesota, I don't think it's that.
I don't use my K4NT a lot, that is probably why.
With the roughly comparable offer last year when cellular access was being lost, the device had to have been connected to Amazon sometime during the period from January 1 to June 30, 2021 (the offer was made in mid-July). I haven’t been able to find a similar specific time qualification for this round, but I’d be very surprised if there isn’t one. It only makes sense; why would Amazon offer such a good deal on a device that hit the gadget graveyard eons ago? It does show that the various technical bloggers really know nothing except what they crib from someone else, as no one seems to be even identifying the issue, much less trying to find the answer. Not that it would matter in terms of who got the offer, but it would be interesting to know. Perhaps the lesson is that while charging up ancient devices, it’s good to let them phone home occasionally as well.

#55  icedtea 06-06-2022, 05:51 PM
Quote DNSB
There is a page on amazon.ca with the offer. See: Non-Touchscreen Kindle Devices - Access to Kindle Store FAQ. The URL I used to open the page was: https://amazon.ca/OldKindleFAQ .

The offer seems to be 30% off a new Kindle (code: NEWKINDLE30) plus a $50Cdn ebook credit however you MUST have received an email from Amazon.ca to be eligible. See NEWKINDLE30 Terms and Conditions for details.
Thanks! I'm pretty annoyed I don't seem to qualify, even though I don't really need/want a new kindle at this time.

Maybe only to connect to my 2nd account so I could de-drm and ditch kindle for pc. I could definitely use up that $50 gc though.

#56  Canis_lupus 06-06-2022, 07:54 PM
Quote issybird
With the roughly comparable offer last year when cellular access was being lost, the device had to have been connected to Amazon sometime during the period from January 1 to June 30, 2021 (the offer was made in mid-July). I haven’t been able to find a similar specific time qualification for this round, but I’d be very surprised if there isn’t one. It only makes sense; why would Amazon offer such a good deal on a device that hit the gadget graveyard eons ago? It does show that the various technical bloggers really know nothing except what they crib from someone else, as no one seems to be even identifying the issue, much less trying to find the answer. Not that it would matter in terms of who got the offer, but it would be interesting to know. Perhaps the lesson is that while charging up ancient devices, it’s good to let them phone home occasionally as well.
I got the e-mail offer. The last time any of my old non-touch Kindles connected to WiFi was 2018.

#57  Mikkail 07-01-2022, 07:53 PM
Hi. I'm in New Zealand, I've got a Kindle DXG and use it pretty much every day. No wi-fi, so I side-load all content. No email from Amazon regarding trade-in.

#58  Mikkail 07-01-2022, 08:27 PM
Quote Mikkail
Hi. I'm in New Zealand, I've got a Kindle DXG and use it pretty much every day. No wi-fi, so I side-load all content. No email from Amazon regarding trade-in.
Update: Just checked, and I am still able to download books from Amazon using the 3G. So all good, so far. The prediction is that 3G support in New Zealand will disappear by the end of 2022; some providers have already dropped support.

#59  Quoth 07-02-2022, 08:14 AM
The issue with DXG is that it uses the Mobile cell to set time & date, which can take a day. It can't be manually set unless you jailbreak and use USB networking or make a serial interface connection. It loses the time and date if the battery (actually a cell) goes flat.

#60  Badcatalex 07-06-2022, 05:04 AM
Who thinks Amazon is gonna have a Kindle product announcement around the time of the shutdown?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (6/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register