Mobileread
Older Kindles losing store access in August
#11  issybird 05-24-2022, 07:26 AM
I’ve got the email. Only one upgrade offer per account, so presumably multiple devices don’t qualify for more. You have to have received the email to qualify, so I’d guess that a quick transfer or purchase wouldn’t work.

#12  Hitch 05-24-2022, 09:10 AM
I still have a K2--yes, really--and I have not received this email, FWIW.

Hitch

#13  issybird 05-24-2022, 09:34 AM
I wonder if there’s a qualifier that Amazon hasn’t mentioned, along the lines of the device having been used within X amount of time? With WiFi on, obviously. Essentially, that if you’ve got to brush the cobwebs off or it was disposed of long ago, Amazon figures you don’t need to be appeased? No device lasts forever.

#14  Hitch 05-24-2022, 11:09 AM
Quote issybird
I wonder if there’s a qualifier that Amazon hasn’t mentioned, along the lines of the device having been used within X amount of time? With WiFi on, obviously. Essentially, that if you’ve got to brush the cobwebs off or it was disposed of long ago, Amazon figures you don’t need to be appeased? No device lasts forever.
No idea. I guess those of us with older devices will, eventually, get to hear the Bell Toll. I mean, I use mine simply for testing our eBooks, of course--I read on a later-gen Paperwhite (since my Voyage, sob, died).

Hitch

#15  rcentros 05-24-2022, 03:49 PM
I wonder if this means you won't be able to register older Kindles after August 22nd?

#16  jhowell 05-24-2022, 05:49 PM
The eBook Reader Blog speculates that the idea is to stop supporting the non-touchscreen interface to the store. That makes sense to me. Amazon knows how much revenue comes from purchases made on those devices and it may not be enough to justify the support costs of keeping an alternate interface to the store going.

#17  Quoth 05-25-2022, 07:40 AM
Quote jhowell
The eBook Reader Blog speculates that the idea is to stop supporting the non-touchscreen interface to the store.
That's plausible. Also people will still be able to purchase via PC or browser on phone / tablet that supports an ereader as external storage via USB adaptor (about €5 for Micro USB or USB-C to USB-A if supported).

#18  issybird 05-25-2022, 08:26 AM
Quote Quoth
That's plausible. Also people will still be able to purchase via PC or browser on phone / tablet that supports an ereader as external storage via USB adaptor (about €5 for Micro USB or USB-C to USB-A if supported).
It’s not even that restrictive. Purchasing from the device will be eliminated, but you’ll still be able to download purchases wirelessly. And I can’t imagine all that many people were shopping from these ancient devices, frankly; maybe in a pinch if out and about and had no phone, but how likely is that? Perhaps there’s a handful of codgers who are wedded to old tech and don’t access the internet otherwise, but it has to be a vanishing number.

#19  Badcatalex 05-25-2022, 08:46 AM
I have a K4NT and have yet to recieve this message.

#20  jonathan2022 05-25-2022, 01:14 PM
I have a theory on who is getting this message . I got this message. While I don't use the store on the kindle itself. I do use the web browser to connect to caliber. I have a faulty USB port so can't use that to sideload books. I may have by mistake clicked on store. Cursor is a pain to use. I don't know how anyone would want to buy direct on it. It's hard work. I do remember a pop up saying store will no longer support this kindle but it didn't give a date.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register