Mobileread
Tolino Vision 6
#1  kyôdai 10-15-2021, 06:42 AM
Tolino just announced the Tolino Vision 6.

-> https://mytolino.com/products/tolino-vision-6/

It can be pre-ordered for €169 at various german bookstores and is going to hit shelves "soon". (There is no definite release date, yet.)

As always, the device is manufactured by Kobo and will be based on the upcoming Kobo Libra 2.

There are some notable differences though:

- The Tolino will "only" have 16 GB of storage instead of 32 GB.
- It has a 1,8 Ghz AllWinner B300 Quad-Core processor. (The Libra 2 only has an unspecified 1 Ghz CPU.)
- It's operating system will be based on Android 8.1, according to various news outlets.
- There is no mention of Bluetooth or Audiobook support on the website.
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 11-39-47 tolino vision 6 - the upgrade for more reading pleasure - MyTo.png 

#2  rcentros 10-15-2021, 09:28 AM
Thanks for posting this. Odd that an "Epos 3" (Sage "equivalent") wasn't released at the same time. But then Tolino never got an Elipsa equivalent either, so maybe they're abandoning the larger readers. Also odd that there's no Bluetooth, but (I'm guessing) that might be because their associated bookstores don't carry many audible books? Faster CPU but less memory. It's almost like they're trying to be different. (But, I guess, the extra memory on the Libra 2 might be for audio books, if this doesn't support them it wouldn't need it.)

#3  rantanplan 10-15-2021, 09:29 AM
Two things of note:
1. I think that the unspecified 1ghz CPU for the Libra 2 is just an error, otherwise the device would just be a screen refresh in a different body.
2. Thalia (and the other stores) sell audiobooks so I'd imagine that this information is just incomplete. They even provide their competitor model for an audiobook subscription.

#4  rcentros 10-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Quote rantanplan
Two things of note:
1. I think that the unspecified 1ghz CPU for the Libra 2 is just an error, otherwise the device would just be a screen refresh in a different body.
2. Thalia (and the other stores) sell audiobooks so I'd imagine that this information is just incomplete. They even provide their competitor model for an audiobook subscription.
I don't know. The Vision 6 manual is already available for download and there's nothing about audio books or Bluetooth in it at all. And Kobo specifically states that the Libra 2 has a 1 Ghz CPU whereas they tout the 1.8 Ghz Quad Core CPU for the Sage. Since the Kobo runs on Linux and the Tolino runs on Android, it's possible that the Tolino needs the faster CPU whereas and the Kobo LIbra 2 doesn't.

#5  Sirtel 10-15-2021, 09:45 AM
I noticed that this device doesn't have an uniform thickness, like the Libra 2. The handle side is 9mm and the screen side is about 6mm thick.

Strange...

#6  davidfor 10-15-2021, 09:47 AM
Quote kyôdai
Tolino just announced the Tolino Vision 6.

-> https://mytolino.com/products/tolino-vision-6/

It can be pre-ordered for €169 at various german bookstores and is going to hit shelves "soon". (There is no definite release date, yet.)

As always, the device is manufactured by Kobo and will be based on the upcoming Kobo Libra 2.

There are some notable differences though:

- The Tolino will "only" have 16 GB of storage instead of 32 GB.
- It has a 1,8 Ghz AllWinner B300 Quad-Core processor. (The Libra 2 only has an unspecified 1 Ghz CPU.)
The different storage isn't that unusual, but, not the CPU. I can see a higher spec CPU might be desirable for Android, but, I would expect that meant a lot of other changes as well.
- It's operating system will be based on Android 8.1, according to various news outlets.
- There is no mention of Bluetooth or Audiobook support on the website.
It does say:

Download eBooks and audiobooks directly via WiFi
But, I don't see any other mention of audiobooks.

#7  kyôdai 10-15-2021, 09:57 AM
Some german news outlets already got their hands on the new device.

Papierlos-Lesen.de released a quick review, with some pictures comparing the new Vision 6 with the previous Vision 5 (Kobo Libra H2O equivalent):

-> https://papierlos-lesen.de/kurztest-zum-tolino-vision-6-70259/

They say the better contrast of the Carta 1200 display is achived with darker blacks. Especially noticable with the light turned on and with the inverted mode.

They also think that the lighting has been improved.
Tolino-Vision-6_Griffleiste-mit-Blaettertasten.jpg Tolino-Vision-6_Rueckseite.jpg Tolino-Vision-6_USB-C-Anschluss.jpg Displayvergleich_TolinoVision5_vs_TolinoVision6_Unbeleuchtet.jpg Displayvergleich_TolinoVision5_vs_TolinoVision6_Geringe-Farbtemperatur.jpg Displayvergleich_TolinoVision5_vs_TolinoVision6_Maximale-Farbtemperatur.jpg Displayvergleich_TolinoVision5_vs_TolinoVision6_Inverse-Darstellung.jpg 

#8  rcentros 10-15-2021, 10:09 AM
According to that "other website," who's owner supposedly talked to Tolino, the Vision 6 does have Bluetooth onboard, but there's no immediate plans to use it. That sounds a bit like the Nook Glowlight Plus.

#9  rcentros 10-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Quote Sirtel
I noticed that this device doesn't have an uniform thickness, like the Libra 2. The handle side is 9mm and the screen side is about 6mm thick.

Strange...
It's the same weight as the Libra 2. I've got to believe it's the same case. Maybe they're just being more accurate with the description?

#10  rcentros 10-15-2021, 10:12 AM
Quote kyôdai
They also think that the lighting has been improved.
It definitely looks like it has an "oranger" orange screen.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register