Mobileread
New Kindle Paperwhites? (Plural, yes)
#11  ZodWallop 09-20-2021, 06:39 PM
Quote Sirtel
167 dpi is pretty old by now. Perhaps they'll upgrade it to 200-something.
Before 300 dpi became the norm, I think 221 was considered pretty good?

But I could see them just making it 300 dpi, just without waterproofing or warm lighting.

#12  ZodWallop 09-20-2021, 06:43 PM
Quote John F
I thought the Aura H2Os were lower resolution screens?
You are right. 265 dpi. I thought the edition 2 was 300. Shows what I know.

#13  koboy 09-20-2021, 06:46 PM
i'd like Amazon to upgrade the Paperwhite 4 with the warmlight.

best wishes koboy

#14  Sirtel 09-20-2021, 06:51 PM
Quote koboy

best wishes koboy
Um... they just did, didn't they?

#15  koboy 09-20-2021, 07:07 PM
Quote Sirtel
Um... they just did, didn't they?
i meant the Paperwhite 4 with the 6 inch screen to include the warmlight not the new 6.8.

the 6.8 size is of zero interest to me. too big.

best wishes koboy

#16  issybird 09-20-2021, 07:17 PM
Quote JSWolf
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.
Yep. I was thinking along those lines myself. I have an H2O1, look to the left, but for that outlay and those specs, I’d have to decide whether I’d prefer a Libra or a Paperwhite 5.

As things stand now, I have a Glo that’s a book repository given its micro SD card slot; however, there are signs it might not last much longer. In that case, it would make sense to pop the SD card into the H2O and make that the repository and buy a Libra to take over for the H2O. OTOH, the advantage of the Paperwhite 5 would be direct access to my Kindle library on eink, which would be handy.

Well, the bottom line is that I’m obviously sufficiently deviced and I can wait on developments. Mostly it’s just fun to think about.

#17  rcentros 09-20-2021, 09:53 PM
Quote ZodWallop
So I wonder, will there be a new basic Kindle with a 6" 300 dpi screen? Or is Amazon ditching that market?
I was wondering the same. Now that that they only have one 6" eReader, will they upgrade it?

#18  j.p.s 09-20-2021, 10:16 PM
Quote issybird
I The Oasis was always too expensive and I hated the form factor anyway; that sharp corner cut into my palm.

The Oasis 1, or all the Oases? (I've never held an Oasis 1.)

I don't like holding an Oasis 2 or 3 when the metal is cold or hot. Nor do I like all the futzing around when switching hands, but I've never had trouble with the corners. OTOH I don't read on my kobo in part because its corner hurts my palm.

#19  JSWolf 09-21-2021, 05:07 AM
Quote koboy

best wishes koboy
I hope not. The PW4 is a fairly poor device. Bring back an updated PW3 and dump the PW4. The PW3 has a clearer screen.

#20  Quoth 09-21-2021, 07:07 AM
Wireless charging isn't cordless. It needs the pad, which must be practically in contact, cord to pad and a higher power mains charger as it's lower efficiency. You can't easily read while charging.
So called Wireless charging (really inductive) is a sort of fashion statement on phones and tablets and makes less sense than cable or a dock.
Tablets ought to have an coax socket or dock or both to optionally charge/power while the USB is being used, especially in USB2Go mode. Some tablets do and it doesn't contravene EU directives as long as the USB port can also charge it.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register