Mobileread
This sounds like it COULD be
#1  Uncle Robin 09-19-2021, 08:46 AM
a marketing opportunity for ebooks and ereaders. It probably WON'T be, but played right, it could be, imo:

https://qz.com/2059755/book-publishers-warn-of-supply-chain-delays-for-2021-holidays/

#2  Apache 09-19-2021, 08:56 AM
Your link requires a subscription.
Apache

#3  JSWolf 09-19-2021, 09:46 AM
This does not sound it will effect eBook, but I think the publishers will delay the eBooks until the pBooks are available even though this is a very stupid way to do business.

#4  Quoth 09-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Quote Apache
Your link requires a subscription.
Apache
Works here with no sub.

#5  Quoth 09-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Quote JSWolf
This does not sound it will effect eBook, but I think the publishers will delay the eBooks until the pBooks are available even though this is a very stupid way to do business.
It depends, Disney brought forward Streaming and DVD/BD releases when Cinemas closed, now they are making them later.

I never underestimate the stupidity of marketing in general or big publishers in particular.

Amazon will benefit; paper, ebook and audiobooks. Sometimes at expense of big publishers.

#6  John F 09-19-2021, 11:19 AM
What is the website's focus? Problems with supply chain for pbooks, and not a single mention of an alternative, ebooks?

#7  JSWolf 09-19-2021, 12:49 PM
The problem seems to be the supply chain for pBooks

A lumber shortage and reductions in workers at paper mills have contributed to a paper shortage that’s affecting not just book production but paper towels, toilet paper, and envelopes as well. And because many books are printed in China, the route from printer to the bookstore is currently fraught with bottlenecks. Port congestion, lack of shipping containers, a shortage of dockworkers, and trucking staffing problems are impeding the movement of books from warehouses to stores.
The publishers could still publish these books as eBooks as they won't have any supply chain issues. However, that will cause a problem that the publishers don't want. It will cause eBooks to rise in sales and pBooks to drop in sales.

Me, I'm very much OK new books coming out as eBooks only because of supply chain problems.

#8  PeterT 09-19-2021, 12:58 PM
But there will be a shortage of bits used by every eBook

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

#9  binaryhermit 09-19-2021, 01:01 PM
Meh, if the series of tubes could handle all the Zooming last March without it taking four days for an internet a Senator's staff sent him to get to the Senator it can handle all books being distributed as ebooks.

#10  binaryhermit 09-19-2021, 01:12 PM
Oh, and is the "p" in "pBook" paper or physical?

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register