Mobileread
Xiaomi launches the InkPalm 5 mini e-reader for 599 yuan (~$91)
#11  ottischwenk 04-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Quote rantanplan
If it's built around Adobe DRM I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's Android - nothing prevents you from installing another app.

#12  rowe 04-06-2021, 03:28 PM
If this will run in English I’ll buy it to replace my Hisense A5. Smaller, lighter and looks to be a better screen.

#13  Uncle Robin 04-06-2021, 04:50 PM
Quote Quoth
A 7" would be more expensive. The Kobo Libra is decent value. But the Kindle Basic without adverts (price) or with adverts (cheaper) is a terrible product for even 5 years ago.
Oh, sure - I wouldn't expect a 7-inch at the same or similar price. I was thinking more of the specs - MR readers at least would pay for larger devices with similar specs, that huge market ought be first in the minds of Amazon and Rakuten.

#14  twowheels 04-06-2021, 05:38 PM
I saw it available on an ereader review site that I'd rather not name, for DOUBLE the price that is quoted in the headline. Given their reputation of borrowing content, writing click-bait titles, making wildly inaccurate predictions, and not such stellar shipping, I think I'll pass, especially at that price.

I'd love to have one though, as I'd really like a more portable reader, though would prefer a slightly more square aspect ratio. If I bought one I'd install KOReader (where I do 99% of my reading now) and the Amazon reader app (looks like it has Amazon's app pre-installed). One big concern would be availability of decent and well fitting cases. If another vendor starts selling it in the US, I'll probably grab one.

EDIT: And I just remembered the fact that Xiaomi has been accused of being a bit of a backdoor for a particular foreign government... so, there's that big red flag -- hmmm...

#15  koboy 04-06-2021, 05:42 PM
while people keep buying the latest low spec Kindles and Kobos they will keep making them.

best wishes koboy

#16  JSWolf 04-06-2021, 05:46 PM
Quote koboy
while people keep buying the latest low spec Kindles and Kobos they will keep making them.

best wishes koboy
The worst mainstream Reader available now is the Kindle Basic. It was obsolete before it was released.

#17  Uncle Robin 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM
Quote twowheels
EDIT: And I just remembered the fact that Xiaomi has been accused of being a bit of a backdoor for a particular foreign government... so, there's that big red flag -- hmmm...
Of courses, protectionism and xenophobia played no part in those accusations, raised as they were by a government that has never engaged in unethical or illegal surveillance of its own or other countries' citizens.

#18  kyteflyer 04-06-2021, 07:00 PM
I want one. Unlike many, I prefer a smaller reader, even 6” is larger than I want. I currently read on my phone, this would save those batteries.

#19  Uncle Robin 04-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Quote kyteflyer
I want one. Unlike many, I prefer a smaller reader, even 6” is larger than I want. I currently read on my phone, this would save those batteries.
It is a very portable size. If it were open enough, I might even get one to install KOReader on and sync with my Libra, letting me take an e-ink reader with me places I'd rather not take my Libra.

#20  Question Mark 04-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Quote rowe
If this will run in English I’ll buy it to replace my Hisense A5. Smaller, lighter and looks to be a better screen.
Although I would prefer the size of this device, I will stick with my Hisense A5. It has a much larger battery and much more RAM. It also has a more recent version of Android and offers expandable memory.

As for the screen, the A5 apparently has 278ppi while the Xiaomi has 284 ppi. Not a huge difference.

For me the benefits of the A5 far outweigh its larger size and heavier weight.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/19)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register