Mobileread
Mobipocket to officially close at last
#1  pdurrant 10-23-2016, 07:31 AM
After being moribund for several years, Amazon is finally going to close Mobipocket.com at the end of October.

The annoucnement on the Mobipocket home page reads:

"The Mobipocket website & its services will be permanently shut down on Oct 31st, 2016. Prior to that date, please ensure:
You have downloaded copies of all the ebook content you've purchased through Mobipocket. Please re-download any ebooks you need prior to October 31st.
You have activated all your Mobipocket CDROMs. You can activate CDROMs by clicking here."

I think I only ever bought one book from the actual Mobipocket.com web site, and trying to download that now just gives a server error.

But if you had used Mobipocket in the past, and you don't have current backups, it might be worth seeing if anything is recoverable from your account before the end of October.

#2  GA Russell 10-23-2016, 11:21 PM
I don't think I've read the word "mobipocket" since 2009!

#3  Sweetpea 10-24-2016, 03:03 AM
Quote GA Russell
I don't think I've read the word "mobipocket" since 2009!
Looking at the site, that's about the last time it was updated too

I always bought via Fictionwise, and that one closed down long ago...

#4  sadowski 10-24-2016, 04:30 AM
I cannot even open my bookshelf since the browser thinks it is unsafe (the security certificate expired 2015)!

#5  JSWolf 10-24-2016, 10:58 AM
I've never bought from Mobipocket. But I did buy from Mobi format from Fictionwise and one other store (cannot remember the name but it is out of business) that only sold Mobi format.

#6  chrisridd 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM
That's one store that unsurprisingly hasn't done a deal to sell its customers to Kobo :-)

#7  pdurrant 10-24-2016, 11:12 AM
One would have thought they might have tried moving their customer libraries to the Kindle platform!

#8  jswinden 10-24-2016, 11:17 AM
I used Mobipocket and Fictionwise quite a bit many years ago when I read books on various PDAs. That was of course before the eInk reader and smartphone eras. I'm not sure how my eyes ever focused on words for very long on those old 160x160px square Palm Pilot screens, but I managed somehow. Then one day they introduced 320x320px color screens...woohooo! Obviously we have come a long way in the past 15 years. I just hope screen technology keeps improving to counterbalance that my old eyes keep degrading.

#9  tovare 10-24-2016, 01:18 PM
I thought it closed years ago. I read lots of books on my Nokia E62 from mobipocket.

Thanks for the heads up, I´ve got 10 books there it seems.

#10  HarryT 10-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Quote JSWolf
I've never bought from Mobipocket. But I did buy from Mobi format from Fictionwise and one other store (cannot remember the name but it is out of business) that only sold Mobi format.
BooksOnBoard, perhaps?

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register