Mobileread
The Kindle Voyage is back
#1  Poppaea 01-28-2020, 08:03 AM
Look what I found on Amazon Germany:

The Voyage is up for pre-order and will be delivered starting February, 4th.

Guess some of you are extremely happy now, aren't you?

Heck, I was so excited for to see this, I nearly ordered one. And I'd never buy a Kindle. Or would I?

#2  pdurrant 01-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Also available for pre-order in the UK.

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock. Note it's only the WiFi model available. From 4th February.

#3  stumped 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Quote pdurrant

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock...
Yep. when I go to that link it says

"You purchased this item on 24 Apr 2015."

so its not a newer model

#4  azt33 01-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Too bad it’s the WiFi-only model, if it was the cellular one I would have jumped on it!

#5  JSWolf 01-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Quote azt33
Too bad it’s the WiFi-only model, if it was the cellular one I would have jumped on it!
Why waste your money on 3G? 3G is dying and eventually, there won't be 3G support from the cell providers. If you have a 4G or 5G phone that allows you to tether, then you can tether your Kindle an do it that way.

#6  Poppaea 01-28-2020, 08:58 AM
Quote pdurrant

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock. Note it's only the WiFi model available. From 4th February.
Still, some might be happy to get a spare. I know I'd be over the moon if some shop found some old stock Aura Ones in their basement

#7  JSWolf 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM
Quote Poppaea
Still, some might be happy to get a spare. I know I'd be over the moon if some shop found some old stock Aura Ones in their basement
But if you cannot jailbreak it, do you want a spare Kindle that you will need to keep an eye on to keep it charged?

#8  Poppaea 01-28-2020, 09:08 AM
Quote JSWolf
But if you cannot jailbreak it, do you want a spare Kindle that you will need to keep an eye on to keep it charged?
Nah, not me. Those who were mourning the Voyages demise. I am mourning the loss of my Aura One! I didn't take to the Forma. That blasted wedge with the buttons was always in the way.

#9  azt33 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM
Quote JSWolf
Why waste your money on 3G? 3G is dying and eventually, there won't be 3G support from the cell providers. If you have a 4G or 5G phone that allows you to tether, then you can tether your Kindle an do it that way.
Because I don't want to tether to my mobile all the time - I prefer my gadgets to have their own cellular connectivity, where possible. That is what I love about the Oasis 3 I got, it has cellular, allowing me to synchronise through WhisperSync on the different Kindles and Kindle apps that I read.

To each their own I guess.

#10  ilovejedd 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM
Quote azt33
Because I don't want to tether to my mobile all the time - I prefer my gadgets to have their own cellular connectivity, where possible. That is what I love about the Oasis 3 I got, it has cellular, allowing me to synchronise through WhisperSync on the different Kindles and Kindle apps that I read.

To each their own I guess.
I expect the comment was based on a US bent where some carriers (e.g. Verizon) are shutting down 3G support by end of this year.

Oasis 3 and Paperwhite 4 have LTE support.

Next »  Last »  (1/17)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register