Mobileread
Harlequin to stop providing ebook downloads from 12th November 2018
#51  IronChaim 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Quote AnemicOak
The change has been made. Their new vendor is BookShout (not a fan).

https://help.harlequin.com/ebook-support/how-to-read-your-ebooks
Disappointing, but not very surprising as that's what HarperCollins has been using at their direct-to-consumer site for some time.

#52  tomsem 11-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Quote PurpleStar
So...basically it's pointless to buy any ebook from the Harlequin site now because you have to read it with this "BookShout" app? Wow, that's pretty sad.
Oh, that is not true! You can use a web browser!

#53  PurpleStar 11-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Quote tomsem
Oh, that is not true! You can use a web browser!
Like a web browser is sooooo much better to read on than a Kobo ereader.

#54  darryl 11-17-2018, 12:37 AM
Bookshout is not about the customer reading. It is a publisher focused service. It is designed to allow gathering data to share with publishers. It apparently uses epub files with its own proprietary drm. It only allows reading via its own Android and IOS apps and its own web reader and does not support any non-Android e-ink reader. It does not allow downloading of an epub outside of its apps. Presumably its apps do download epubs to secure storage on Android and IOS where they are not easily accessible. I'm not aware of any mention anywhere of anyone attempting to break this DRM, and frankly I don't expect to. There are just so many better places to buy books and better options to read them that if anyone bothers it will only be for their own amusement. This Wikipedia article sums the situation up nicely, including a prominent reference to comments on these forums:

BookShout

This and other similar proprietary apps are, at least in my opinion, blights on the publishing landscape, and to be avoided.

#55  PurpleStar 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Harlequin finally gave me the My Reward points they owed me and I have enough points for a couple ebooks. But I guess it's pointless now since I won't be able to read them on the kobo. What do I do now, get a real paper book? lol

#56  FrustratedReader 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Sounds like Bookshout might contravene GDPR?
At any rate, if readers vote with purchasing elsewhere they will reverse their policy.
I support copyright, but DRM and activity monitoring are evil.

#57  kazbates 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM
I've spent a lot of money at Harlequin over the years. When I contacted their Customer Service to complain that I no longer had access to my purchased contact, they told me I could still use what I had already downloaded. Well, of course I can! That's not the point. When the ebooks were purchased as pdf's, it was with the implied expectation that as long as Harlequin was in business I would have access to my ADE pdfs. I have no intention of purchasing another device to read with the Bookshout app. It is as if Harlequin has taken back what I have already purchased without giving me any compensation. I don't see how that can be legal.

#58  C-novice 12-15-2018, 01:41 PM
I cannot imagine that any reader would knowingly and willingly use Bookshout App for anything at all.

As others have said, there are many other platforms to use to buy and read our books.

#59  Critteranne 12-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Quote IronChaim
So...they're basically locking their own store out from any eink device. But, since they will continue to sell through Amazon, Kobo, and others there's still an option to get the books that way.

Is there any incentive to purchase directly from Harlequin's store (e.g., is the price any lower?)
They have sales you can only get on their site -- everything from the occasional 50% off to 25% off this or that. Also, purchases earn points that can be redeemed on books (ebooks or print).

I almost wish they'd go back to the old points program they had in the 1990s, where you collected points from mass market paperbacks and then mailed them in to buy things like gift sets of soaps and collectible dolls. At least you don't have to worry about making backups. And I was able to have the doll sent to my aunt. However, you also had to tear out a coupon in the book to get the points.

#60  Critteranne 12-16-2018, 10:37 AM
Quote C-novice
I cannot imagine that any reader would knowingly and willingly use Bookshout App for anything at all.

As others have said, there are many other platforms to use to buy and read our books.
I used it unwillingly because I earned a free ebook copy of The House with a Clock in Its Walls from Regal Cinema after seeing the movie. (Even though I already had a copy via Amazon or Nook or something. And a paper copy. ) But I downloaded the app only after the Harlequin thing.

It's yet another ebook app I don't need because there are many better ones. It ran smoothly I guess? The books actually opened in it, without telling me the books weren't authorized and forcing me to authorize them yet again (hello Overdrive and Libby). Other than that, the only "advantage" is that if you read four books in the app, you'll get a discount or free book or something. But considering how much they will get for spying on your reading habits, they should be paying me. :P

« First  « Prev   (6/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register