Mobileread
Harlequin to stop providing ebook downloads from 12th November 2018
#11  fjtorres 10-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Quote jhowell

They don't say who the new provider will be. It will be interesting to find out. They also don't mention it, but it is most likely the new store provider will not support ADE since that is expensive.
Scribd is one possibility. They bought out Librify in 2015 and they were behind Target's eBook Club using a similar approach.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/27/target-ebooks-librify/9480717/

https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/24/scribd-acquires-librify/

And scribd is also Applocked, if I recall. Or was that Oyster?

#12  j.p.s 10-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Quote Sarmat89
Another victim of rampant piracy?
Another victim of Digital Restrictions Manglement.

#13  IronChaim 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Quote pdurrant
If you do not download them, you will still always have access to your books through the Harlequin Bookshelf and new app (requires internet connection), however, you can do offline reading as well. Thanks!
So...they're basically locking their own store out from any eink device. But, since they will continue to sell through Amazon, Kobo, and others there's still an option to get the books that way.

Is there any incentive to purchase directly from Harlequin's store (e.g., is the price any lower?)

#14  AnemicOak 10-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Quote IronChaim
Is there any incentive to purchase directly from Harlequin's store (e.g., is the price any lower?)
The incentives I can think of would be some books are available a month earlier than at various retailers and their rewards program where you can use points to get free books.

#15  Paperbackstash 10-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. It doesn't affect me personally but I passed the info along.

#16  Sydney's Mom 10-30-2018, 01:52 PM
I have a feeling they have changed things for ebooks across the board. Harlequin is one of the few publishers that charges the same for print books and ebooks. The libraries I have access to in IL used to buy all of the Harlequin books. All of a sudden, they stopped. I imagine Harlequin came out with some draconian rules concerning library ebooks. Or jacked the price up significantly.

#17  library addict 10-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Well that is a bummer.

#18  library addict 10-30-2018, 01:56 PM
Quote Sydney's Mom
I have a feeling they have changed things for ebooks across the board. Harlequin is one of the few publishers that charges the same for print books and ebooks. The libraries I have access to in IL used to buy all of the Harlequin books. All of a sudden, they stopped. I imagine Harlequin came out with some draconian rules concerning library ebooks. Or jacked the price up significantly.
Their ebooks are usually less expensive than print via their site. And their books now have very limited library checkouts as they were bought out by Harper Collins a while back.

#19  AnemicOak 10-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Quote Sydney's Mom
Their library stuff changed quite a while back when Harper Collins bought them. HC's library pricing is not more than hardcover pricing and often less, but limited to 26 loans before a library must repurchase.

#20  PurpleStar 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Yeah I have loads of books from the Harlequin site as well as Kobo. Guess I better back them all up? Ugh, what are they doing?!

Reading through all the posts here and the romance forum it would seem I won’t be able to download ebooks from Harlequin to my Kobo anymore. Unless it supports their new app whoch I doubt. Bummer, I’ll still read them but it means no more freebies from Harlequin anymore which doesn’t matter cause their my rewards program is kinda sucks the last year anyway. I assume I’d still be able to buy them from Kobo hopefully.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register