Mobileread
What to do with this when using ADE?
#1  greentree 02-13-2020, 07:25 AM
I volunteer for a micropublisher that sells books online, including some ebooks. We use ADE and there is an issue that comes up that we'd like to try and resolve.

When one of our customers gets a new computer and transfers ADE to it, they get locked out of ADE altogether. They have to de-authorize it and re-authorize it. If all goes well, that works, and then they can use their ebooks again.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't work, and they have to uninstall ADE, and then re-install it, and download all their ebooks again, which can be a substantial undertaking.

Is this a known issue? Do people have suggestions on how to resolve/work with it?

#2  Sirtel 02-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Sell the books without DRM.

#3  DiapDealer 02-13-2020, 09:33 AM
Nobody should be recommending that one ADE installation be copied to a new computer.

#4  Quoth 02-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Quote Sirtel
Sell the books without DRM.
Yes. DRM is nothing to do with copyright or content protection, that's propaganda. It's about big corporations misusing content, PD and Copyright, to split markets, force repurchasing etc. Zero effect on real pirates.

What Sirtel says, ditch the DRM. I work for a "micropublisher".

#5  theducks 02-13-2020, 12:01 PM
As been pointed out. Each device gets a unique ADE key. As long as the account is the same, the books are usable.
IIRC there is a limit on the number of devices that can be registered, which could be a PITA if you started back in 2010 like I did (my purchases have been mostly Amazon or DRM free)

#6  Sirtel 02-13-2020, 02:28 PM
Quote theducks
IIRC there is a limit on the number of devices that can be registered, which could be a PITA if you started back in 2010 like I did (my purchases have been mostly Amazon or DRM free)
Yeah. I have used ADE on 6 computers/tablets since 2011. 6 is the limit, I believe. Of course I didn't de-register before I reset my old devices to factory settings and sold them or gave away. So I would be majorly screwed if I depended on ADE for my ebooks and wanted to read them on a new PC in the future. Fortunately I'm not that stupid.

#7  issybird 02-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Quote Sirtel
Yeah. I have used ADE on 6 computers/tablets since 2011. 6 is the limit, I believe. Of course I didn't de-register before I reset my old devices to factory settings and sold them or gave away. So I would be majorly screwed if I depended on ADE for my ebooks and wanted to read them on a new PC in the future. Fortunately I'm not that stupid.
Deregistering a device from ADE doesn’t free up a license. However, you can contact ADE and they will raise your limit.

#8  DiapDealer 02-13-2020, 02:51 PM
Pretty sure unused machines fall off of the account list eventually. I've installed/registered ADE (to the same account) on more than 6 machines over the course of years, and I've never been shut down. Nor have I ever had to call them.

#9  issybird 02-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Pretty sure unused machines fall off of the account list eventually. I've installed/registered ADE (to the same account) on more than 6 machines over the course of years, and I've never been shut down. Nor have I ever had to call them.
Fair enough. You’d hope so. But it’s still true that deregistering in itself doesn’t free up a license and that if you do bump up against the limit, a call will take care of it.

#10  DiapDealer 02-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Quote issybird
Fair enough. You’d hope so. But it’s still true that deregistering in itself doesn’t free up a license and that if you do bump up against the limit, a call will take care of it.
Oh sure. I wasn't suggesting anything otherwise. I was just commenting that I think it needs to be 6 active accounts before problems occur. Once you've limited out, contacting them is definitely your only recourse.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register