Mobileread
Customizing the Tolino
#1  Peripathetic 02-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Click here to go straight to the final result, otherwise keep reading

While the firmware on the Tolino is quite usable the way it is, and compares favorably to the locked-down competition, it still feels good being able to customize it a bit. So, let's share some ideas what to do and how to do it.

In my case, I like the default reader app, so don't really want to switch to a third-party one at this point, but also have no need for any of its online features and would just like to simply use it as a reader for ePub files I put there on my own.

Here is what I've done so far, with instructions:
I've also been considering the following if I have the time to do it later:
What are the things you did to make your Tolino work better for you?

#2  ottischwenk 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Quote Peripathetic
What are the things you did to make your Tolino work better for you?
I tried TWRP but finally removed it.
But added
- OneToucher - Apps Change
- Total Commander - File Manager and Apps-installer
- Calibre Companion - library Manager
- AlReader - Reader App for DRM free books
- Golden Dict

On Page2 and Shine3 I changed the built in SD against a 64GB and added Kiwix with Wikipedia.
For any of the above, I can share the instructions how to do it: let me know if anyone is interested. For the record, my device is a Shine 3.
Im interested!

#3  Peripathetic 02-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Im interested!
Which one do you want to know about? Or all of them? (That's a lot of writing!)

#4  ottischwenk 02-06-2020, 12:29 PM
Quote Peripathetic
Which one do you want to know about? Or all of them? (That's a lot of writing!)
Whats about an update.zip?

#5  Last Frontier 02-06-2020, 12:42 PM
Quote Peripathetic
[*]Add custom dictionaries
[*]Add hyphenation routines for other languages
Although I use KOReader, I am interested in modifying these two options of the original Tolino reading program. What format would be used for the dictionaries?

(I also have the Tolino Shine 3 with the latest firmware update).

#6  Poppaea 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM
I'd be interested because I guess I'll have to have a my own Tolino in the near future due to CARE DRM ! Right now I have a borrowed one here. The firmware is a bit of a nuisance as it is and could be considerably improved.

I'd love the clock, the font setting in all books, getting rid of the bookmark. hiding the store recommentations and custom dictionary installation, please.

If you need more ideas of what can be done or what is nice to have you could take a look at the Kobo patches.

Thank you!!!

#7  Peripathetic 02-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Great to see so much interest. Thank you. I'll do my best to share all I know. It might need a bit of time though.

Since it seems I can't edit my posts here, it's all the more important then that I try to get everything I write more or less complete the first time, so that there's no need for corrections in the form of more posts further down the thread, which would make things difficult to follow. Bear with me.

#8  ottischwenk 02-07-2020, 09:46 AM
Quote Peripathetic
Great to see so much interest. Thank you. I'll do my best to share all I know.
Interesting for me would be:
when MTP, changing the Tolino Partition from FAT32 to Ext to avoid FAT32 limitations - 4GB File size, ~ 12.000 files in Folder aso.

#9  Peripathetic 02-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Apparently posts can be edited after all, it's just that my account somehow got blocked from posting completely but this is now resolved -- thank you to the moderator who intervened on my behalf.

#10  PeterT 02-07-2020, 11:46 AM
The other option you might like to use is creating pages in the MobileRead Wiki documenting the process you have followed.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register