Mobileread
Why are Factory Reader Covers So Expensive?
#1  Richwood 02-01-2020, 02:45 PM
I note that factory Kindle covers cost in the $30 to $65 range. Nook Glowlight Plus cases are about $40. Glowlight 3 cases are much cheaper, so much so I wonder if the model is about to be discontinued. Kobo covers run from $30 to $50. All seem to be too expensive compared to prices available from third party sellers on Amazon and ebay. I have many of the after market Kindle covers as well as some official Kindle covers and can see little quality difference between the various covers even though the majority of the after market covers are under $15.

What justifies the OEM cover prices other than many buyers apparently do not look for and buy the alternatives?

#2  JSWolf 02-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Quote Richwood
I note that factory Kindle covers cost in the $30 to $65 range. Nook Glowlight Plus cases are about $40. Glowlight 3 cases are much cheaper, so much so I wonder if the model is about to be discontinued. Kobo covers run from $30 to $50. All seem to be too expensive compared to prices available from third party sellers on Amazon and ebay. I have many of the after market Kindle covers as well as some official Kindle covers and can see little quality difference between the various covers even though the majority of the after market covers are under $15.

What justifies the OEM cover prices other than many buyers apparently do not look for and buy the alternatives?
Your last question says it all.

#3  Dazrin 02-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Quote Richwood
I know when I got my first K3 cover, the OEM cover had an integrated light that didn't need a battery that was a wonderful addition and nothing else like it was out there. It wasn't perfect and certainly not for everyone but I liked it.

When I got my Voyage cover, the integrated origami stand was the feature I was wanting. There weren't many options like that when I got it and the ones that did (at the time) generally had straps to hold the Kindle to the cover so they covered part of the front of the device. That is a deal killer for me.

Right now, if I were to buy a new Kindle (Oasis or PW) I would get an aftermarket cover, and did for my kid's, because there isn't anything special about the OEM ones. That hasn't always been the case. (I did get both of my covers from the Amazon Warehouse so at least slightly reduced prices because they are expensive.)

#4  maddz 02-01-2020, 04:15 PM
I actually picked up a sleeve for my Kobo Forma in a local craft fair. It's a lightly padded paperback bag and cost me all of £5 and a bit of time with a needle to modify the closure. Perfect to slip the Forma in along with a cheap Poundland stand and the data cable.

#5  Richwood 02-01-2020, 07:17 PM
I have some of the old reader powered lighted covers for the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT 4 and 5 as well as the original Kindle Touch and the Sony T3. Bought the covers NOS on Ebay after the readers were no longer current so quite reasonably priced. Those were covers not available from other sources but there is nothing special about current OEM reader covers that I can see.

#6  Deskisamess 02-01-2020, 07:42 PM
My first gen Paperwhite still lives in its Amazon cover. None since have worn Amazon pricey covers.

I did try the cover with the light that fit the little basic Kindle with the thin page turn buttons, but returned it. It was very slick and hard to hold, and the little pivot out light didn't illuminate the screen well enough for reading in the dark. Used it one day, and returned it. Found an M-Edge cover and a light designed to work with that cover that was perfect. I still have a couple of the M-Edge lights...one is a touch type. We keep them around for print books.

I've bought low cost covers ever since. Most have been just fine, except for a recent Moko cover that had brittle cracking corners after a couple of months.

#7  drofgnal 02-02-2020, 06:14 AM
After years my voyage still sits in an aftermarket cover made to look like fake leather. Still going strong. I think I paid about 10 bucks for it from a seller on amazon.

#8  maddz 02-02-2020, 07:28 AM
I wonder if the actual reason is that the reader is sold at or very close to cost, and the store is trying to make up for the lost profit on a branded cover.

When I was looking at covers for my Forma, Kobo were selling the origami covers at around £40, unbranded sellers at around £15 - £25 for a case.

#9  DiapDealer 02-02-2020, 08:57 AM
I'm guessing the number one reason is just plain confidence. Confidence that it will fit the device perfectly and perform as expected. Some people don't want to spend the time researching such a basic accessory to make sure it's right for their device. They want a turn-key solution. It's the same reason some people don't look any farther than the high-dollar Otterbox when looking for a cover to protect their phone. They know it will work without having to wade through user reviews to see how (or if) it fits/performs.

#10  JSWolf 02-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Another reason is that the Reader was bought when it came out and some don't want to wait for a third party cover.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register