Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for February 2020 • It Takes Two to Tango: Collaborations
#11  issybird 01-02-2020, 12:04 AM
Quote gmw
So I wanted to nominate a book called The Collaborator by Diane Armstrong; it seems reasonably priced in Kobo US and CA, and normally priced in AU - despite having been published fairly late in 2019. But it does not seem to have arrived in the UK (Kobo GB) yet.

While looking at that, I saw another book called The Collaborator, this one by Mirza Waheed. It's sounds like a good fit for this theme and this club ... but while it's available in Kobo AU and GB, no sign of it in CA or US.

So I 'm still looking.
We don't have active British members, so why not nominate the Armstrong book?

#12  Catlady 01-02-2020, 12:22 AM
Quote gmw
So I wanted to nominate a book called The Collaborator by Diane Armstrong; it seems reasonably priced in Kobo US and CA, and normally priced in AU - despite having been published fairly late in 2019. But it does not seem to have arrived in the UK (Kobo GB) yet.

While looking at that, I saw another book called The Collaborator, this one by Mirza Waheed. It's sounds like a good fit for this theme and this club ... but while it's available in Kobo AU and GB, no sign of it in CA or US.

So I 'm still looking.
The Armstrong book isn't available in the U.S. yet. I had considered it too--I came across it looking for books about Nazi collaborators. Amazon has the U.S. pub date as January 14, 2020.

#13  gmw 01-02-2020, 12:22 AM
Quote issybird
We don't have active British members, so why not nominate the Armstrong book?
I did wonder if it might be okay, but didn't like to presume as fantasyfan sometimes joins in. It may still come to that, but I do still have a novella in mind as well (author collaboration rather than character collaboration).

#14  gmw 01-02-2020, 12:24 AM
Quote Catlady
The Armstrong book isn't available in the U.S. yet. I had considered it too--I came across it looking for books about Nazi collaborators. Amazon has the U.S. pub date as January 14, 2020.
Oh ... whoops. I didn't notice that, just the unexpectedly low price. Thanks.

#15  issybird 01-02-2020, 02:43 PM
I wanted to try to get outside my personal typical fare and also come up with something outside our usual anglophone choices and I've settled on Samarkand by Amin Maalouf, a French-Lebanese writer. (Russell Harris, translator) I'm looking upon the poet and the judge in the blurb as the tangoing twosome.

The blurb from all over:

A gripping historical novel set in 11th century Persia that imagines the life of poet and philosopher Omar Khayyam

Accused of mocking the inviolate codes of Islam, the Persian poet and sage Omar Khayyam fortuitously finds sympathy with the very man who is to judge his alleged crimes. Recognising genius, the judge decides to spare him and gives him instead a small, blank book, encouraging him to confine his thoughts to it alone.
From Wikipedia:

Ahmed Rashid reviewed the book for The Independent, and wrote: "Maalouf has written an extraordinary book, describing the lives and times of people who have never appeared in fiction before and are unlikely to do so again. The book is far more than a simple historical novel; like the intricate embroidery of an oriental carpet it weaves back and forth through the centuries, linking the poetry, philosophy and passion of the Sufi past with modernism."
It won the Prix Maison de la Presse in 1988 and has a Goodreads rating of 4.22 on nearly 20,000 ratings.

Cheap in the US and UK; somewhat dearer in Canada and Australia.
US $3.99; Canada $10.99; Australia $12.99; UK £3.99

304 pp.

#16  Bookpossum 01-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Samarkand sounds fascinating. I second it.

#17  Bookpossum 01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
And I third Something Wonderful.

#18  gmw 01-03-2020, 06:24 AM
After much back and forth (I might post a list of some of my other thoughts later), I finally reverted to the book that was on my mind when I was first considering author collaborations for discussion here...

I nominate Wakulla Springs by Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages.

Description from GoodReads:
Wakulla Springs, in the deep jungle of the Florida panhandle, is the deepest submerged freshwater cave system in the world. In its unfathomable depths, a variety of curious creatures have left a record of their coming, of their struggle to survive, and of their eventual end. And that's just the local human beings over the last seventy-five years. Then there are the prehistoric creatures...and, just maybe, something else.

Ranging from the late 1930s to the present day, "Wakulla Springs" is a tour de force of the human, the strange, and the miraculous.
Don't be fooled by the publisher (Tor.com), this is not SciFi and it contains only vague hints of Fantasy, it is ... different. Maybe literary? (Not that that tells you much.) It's only short, a novella of 139 pages.

And don't be fooled by the blurb, which I think is quite misleading. This is a story of people, 3 generations of a family. The setting is both a character and part of the puzzle, a bit like the inclusion of Johnny Weissmuller in the story.

These are both authors whose short stories and novellas I have enjoyed, it was interesting to see how they came together in collaboration.

It never made it to a favourite status for me, I had a lot of trouble working out what I thought of it, but I did find it rather fascinating and think it would make an interesting book for discussion.

Example prices from Kobo: USD $2.99, CAD $2.99, GBP £2.35, AUD $4.05

It can also be read online, for free, on the Tor website, here.

#19  fantasyfan 01-03-2020, 02:43 PM
I’ll third Anne of Green Gables.

#20  fantasyfan 01-03-2020, 04:21 PM
I nominate Through the Gates of the Silver Key: the Best Collaborations and Ghost Writings of H. P. Lovecraft By H.P. Lovecraft (author) and Cameron Walker (Introduction and editor).
Amazon UK £2.31
Amazon US $3.O0

A considerable number of complete ebook editions of Lovecraft fiction are available at very low prices and some claim to have the collaborative fiction as well. But one should check the content table to see if these are put into a single section. The Great Old Ones: The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft (£0.99) does have collaborative works so organised.

J.D. Finn has an excellent volume of the complete collaborative works but it is rather pricey. The Cameron Walker edition seems a good buy if one wishes to explore this odd genre.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register