Mobileread
Return of page turn buttons
#1  Richwood 12-31-2019, 01:27 PM
I note that the Kindle Oasis and two new higher end Kobo models have returned to having page turn buttons for book reading, HURRAH! I have numerous older Kindles and Sony ebook readers with buttons. The Kindles with buttons or sensors are all pre touchscreen except for the Voyage and Oasis 2 and 3. I also have the Kobo Forma on order.

I have always preferred buttons over the touch screen as it keeps the screen cleaner and in a truly dry low humidity climate such as mine (Reno,NV) the capacitive touchscreen sometimes lacks touch sensitivity.

How do YOU feel about this change?

#2  pwalker8 12-31-2019, 01:39 PM
Quote Richwood
I note that the Kindle Oasis and two new higher end Kobo models have returned to having page turn buttons for book reading, HURRAH! I have numerous older Kindles and Sony ebook readers with buttons. The Kindles with buttons or sensors are all pre touchscreen except for the Voyage and Oasis 2 and 3. I also have the Kobo Forma on order.

I have always preferred buttons over the touch screen as it keeps the screen cleaner and in a truly dry low humidity climate such as mine (Reno,NV) the capacitive touchscreen sometimes lacks touch sensitivity.

I preferred the page turn button as well. I might consider the Oasis, especially the 32 GB version. But, I think I will wait for it's availability before deciding.

#3  Pajamaman 12-31-2019, 01:48 PM
I use a nook glowlight 3 and it has buttons. I have been able to set the buttons up with koreader. The buttons were not a priority fof me, but now I have them I do like to use them. I have also set the whole screen except the center to be a next page button, so I have multiple options. I need never reach and it works with both hands.

#4  Sirtel 12-31-2019, 02:26 PM
The buttons are a must-have for me. I cannot do without them. All the ereaders I've purchased have had buttons, with one exception (the Kindle Basic 2014) and I didn't like that experience.

#5  Luffy 12-31-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm fine with the lack of page buttons. As long as I can turn pages lightning fast, I'll stay faithful to Kindles, and ignore Kobo with all its bells and whistles, yet with a sluggish page turn experience.

#6  rcentros 12-31-2019, 06:35 PM
Quote Richwood
I like page turn buttons but I'm not sure I like the "one-hand" design of the Oasis, Libra and Forma (or Tolino Epos 2 and Vision 5). For a couple reasons... I usually hold eReaders with both hands (like a book) and the these eReaders don't look like that would be too practical. Also, the lighting along the side (instead of along the bottom or top) seems to be an issue, since you have the gradient lighting along the edge, affecting every line. (I'm only going by what I'm reading and guessing, actual experience may be different.)

At some point I'll probably pick up a Glowlight 3 as it has buttons and a traditional design. And I like my Voyage's "buttons" a lot.

#7  Lparsons21 12-31-2019, 06:38 PM
If I’m reading while sitting down, I don’t care if it has page turn buttons or not, but when I’m reading in bed I’m using one hand and I love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#8  Hemmi 12-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Must have page turn buttons. That's why I'm still using my Sonys. Touch screens and I do not get along and moving your hand or finger to turn a page is ridiculous. I want to rest my thumb on the button and just press when needed.

#9  Richwood 12-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Quote pwalker8
I preferred the page turn button as well. I might consider the Oasis, especially the 32 GB version. But, I think I will wait for it's availability before deciding.
Bought my Oasis 32 GB version 3 during the Amazon Black Friday week sale for about $80 off the standard price. I now have both 7" screen Oasis models.

#10  John F 12-31-2019, 08:28 PM
I don't necessarily want button(s) on the reader, so I would rather a reader didn't have them. I would like a remote to turn the page.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register