Mobileread
Sending webpages to Tolino
#1  torto 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM
I am quite happy with my Vision 5 hardware, but I expected things to be more open when compared to Amazon's ecosystem. The most annoying thing is not having a practical way to send a web article or document to read on the Tolino. With the Kindle, it was as easy as clicking a button on Chrome.

I've so far made epubs of a few articles (with the excellent EpubPress), but I still have to generate, download, upload to the Tolino cloud (or connect via cable) and download it on the e-reader in order to read them -- quite cumbersome.

I also found out that Kobos have inbuilt Pocket integration, which is perfect as a solution. It is extremely frustrating, since it is the same hardware as Tolinos. Is there a way to set up things so that you can send web articles to a Tolino in a simple way?

#2  rcentros 12-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Quote torto
I am quite happy with my Vision 5 hardware, but I expected things to be more open when compared to Amazon's ecosystem. The most annoying thing is not having a practical way to send a web article or document to read on the Tolino. With the Kindle, it was as easy as clicking a button on Chrome...
"Push to Kindle" (despite its name) can also save to ePub. I've installed the plugin in Firefox. Just as an experiment I uploaded an ePub version of this page to pCloud and was able to log in to the account on the Tolino's web browser and download it to the Tolino. (You have to have the patience of Job because pCloud wants to load a promo for the paid version and it's slow in an eInk web browser.) At any rate, it works — how practical it is, is another matter. I've attached a screen capture of the ePub made from this page.

EDIT: I've added the first couple screens of a 45 page "book" (encyclical). I'm impressed with Push to Kindle.
screenshot_20191228_163649.png screenshot_20191228_165432.png screenshot_20191228_171027.png screenshot_20191228_171156.png 

#3  torto 12-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Thanks rcentros for your suggestion. It is not as smooth as I was expecting before, but works.

I've experimented with Push to Kindle and the Tolino webreader loaded in a separate browser tab, and it is also a quick solution (the epub file stays on the downloads bar after I download it, and I can simply switch to the Tolino webreader tab and drag it from the bar to the center of the page for the upload). Not perfect, but not too bad. I look forward to rooting it and eventually finding a smoother way.

#4  rcentros 12-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Quote torto
Thanks rcentros for your suggestion. It is not as smooth as I was expecting before, but works.

I've experimented with Push to Kindle and the Tolino webreader loaded in a separate browser tab, and it is also a quick solution (the epub file stays on the downloads bar after I download it, and I can simply switch to the Tolino webreader tab and drag it from the bar to the center of the page for the upload). Not perfect, but not too bad. I look forward to rooting it and eventually finding a smoother way.
I wondered if the Tolino web software would allow this. Since I live in the United States I can't use the Tolino Webreader, so that option is not available to me. But I've got a USB cable constantly plugged into my desktop for side-loading, and it only takes a minute (or so) to side-load Push To Kindle documents to my ePub readers. I was just curious if it could be done without a USB connection.

#5  ottischwenk 12-29-2019, 03:23 PM
Quote torto
I look forward to rooting it and eventually finding a smoother way.
Not rooting, but open Android (German) - Google Play is not available.

#6  torto 12-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Quote ottischwenk
Not rooting, but open Android (German) - Google Play is not available.
Thanks for correcting me!

Do you know if this procedure depends on software version? Is it safe to do it on version 13.2.0?

#7  ottischwenk 12-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Quote torto
Do you know if this procedure depends on software version? Is it safe to do it on version 13.2.0?
It works with all versions of Android 4.4.2 (Firmware > 11.x.x).
But very important: app swithing works with OneToucher Pro - no Launcher possible, because Tolino App must start

#8  torto 01-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Thanks a lot for your answer, as soon as I can work on a PC I'll do it!

Happy new year!

#9  torto 01-04-2020, 11:52 AM
(duplicated)

#10  torto 01-09-2020, 01:04 PM
Hello, I just wanted to share that I've just tested this Calibre plugin and it is now working again:
https://github.com/mmagnus/Pocket-Plus-Calibre-Plugin

I don't know for how long... Anyway, it can download articles in Pocket to Calibre and have them converted to ePub in a batch. Then it is only a matter of pushing the "book" via USB (or dragging the generated ePub to the Tolino cloud). Not as good as having Pocket run natively on the e-reader, but does the job.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register