Mobileread
Cloud Folder not recognized
#11  chaley 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM
Quote lucat
OPS, DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE
I can't believi it.
After I added some books to the library I tryed to reconnect and the problem comes back.
I have to say that using dropbox I never had any problem for 3 years. I was needing more space and GDrive seems to me a perfect solution but...
Send me a CC debug log. Perhaps I will see something that explains the problem. This FAQ tells you how.
Is someone using GDrive with Calibre Companion?
In May, 39% of Cloud Connection users used OneDrive, 34% used DropBox, 11% used a local library on an SD card, 8% used Drive, 5% used Box, and 3% used Amazon.
If yes did you have any problem?
If yes how did you solve it?
No one other than you has reported a problem.

Do note: as theducks pointed out, Drive can destroy your calibre library. That is probably why is isn't very popular.

#12  AnAvidReader 07-15-2019, 12:35 AM
I have encountered the same issue (and have not migrated from Google Drive due to library size issues). When I view the Calibre Library within the Google Drive browser, metadata.db and metadata_db_pref_backup.json are both present, and when I run Calibre Companion on my new phone, it does not recognize that directory as the library. If there is any additional information I can provide that would help, please let me know.

If it's worth remarking upon, my metadata.db is 4MB.

Thank you for a fantastic program otherwise.

#13  stumped 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM
see my posts, today, to the dropbox workaround thread. I spent most of a day making a copy to google drive [ because my new tablet cant get into dropbox ] and I have exactly the same problem. there's 3+ GB now at google drive on the web. all the special .db files are present and same size as local. google backup and sync has finished ( as that was newly installed today), CC gets into google drive cloud i.e. authenticates ok, then does not accept that the calibre library folder there is actually a calibre library !

cc v 5.4. 3.3 from play store today

#14  stumped 07-26-2019, 11:21 AM
stranger and stranger
so I go to my old tablet _ the one that connects to dropbox. I dare not disconnect that but I set it to use both dropbox and google drive
I get it into google drive and same issue as with new device, it does not accept there is a calibre library in there. it sees a folder called calibre library, I can select it, repeatedly, and end up with a path of calibre library/calibre library/calibre library but not matter how I go back and forth with that, its not working.
dropbox still works on that device.
calibre 5.4.4.1 on that one - a direct download. so 2 different versions of the app are failing on 2 devices
I can only guess, due to lack of other complaints, that google drive works for folks who already have it working but that , like dropbox, it is broken for new sign ups ?

how exactly is CC testing for the presence of a calibre library- is it looking for a metadata.db file? I have one of those ! or is it also trying to validate that .db somehow ?
what logs would help, and from where ?

#15  stumped 07-26-2019, 11:28 AM
ps a google search finds this ( undated) statement - even more confusing:

Note: CC Android no longer supports Google Drive. That support ended when Google stopped supporting the feature that CC uses to login to a cloud provider.

Related entries

Author:
Charles Haley
Revision:
You cannot comment on this entry

so have I just spent most of a day on a wild goose chase ?
thing is- the actual initial login in works fine, google alerts me to a new connection to my google drive, as it should, and I can see all the folders therein...
i even went back through the whole chain, remaing caliber Library to Calibre. did not help. CC now sees a folder called calibre in G drive, and if I wait long enough it will show all the author subfolders... but CC does not recognise it as a library

#16  stumped 07-26-2019, 11:58 AM
update 2. I have rage quit the whole project. removed g drive backup and sync, removed the 3+Gb I put into g drive, reverted FFS to mirror only to dropbox
I need to feel 100% safe with now I manage calibre library and GOOGLE DRIVE IS NEVER GOING TO GET THAT TRUST BACK.

I may try with a 3rd cloud provider if one comes recommended for use with CC, but not if it means I have to get a microsoft account!
otherwise I will accept that my new tablet can only get books from the local PC when its on, and not from the cloud
I will keep dropbox going (, until they pull the plug on me,) as my main library backup. I have a spare library copy stashed to another external drive , just in case .

#17  chaley 07-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Quote stumped
ps a google search finds this ( undated) statement - even more confusing:

Note: CC Android no longer supports Google Drive. That support ended when Google stopped supporting the feature that CC uses to login to a cloud provider.

Related entries

Author:
Charles Haley
Revision:
You cannot comment on this entry
There should be a post after that one saying that I found a way around the problem.
Quote stumped
update 2. I have rage quit the whole project. removed g drive backup and sync, removed the 3+Gb I put into g drive, reverted FFS to mirror only to dropbox
I need to feel 100% safe with now I manage calibre library and GOOGLE DRIVE IS NEVER GOING TO GET THAT TRUST BACK.

I may try with a 3rd cloud provider if one comes recommended for use with CC, but not if it means I have to get a microsoft account!
otherwise I will accept that my new tablet can only get books from the local PC when its on, and not from the cloud
I will keep dropbox going (, until they pull the plug on me,) as my main library backup. I have a spare library copy stashed to another external drive , just in case .
Too bad I wasn't faster. I suspect that the problem is related to the number of "items" in the library folder. Drive paginates the results if there are lots. How many is "lots"? I don't know, but it could be more than 1000.

However, the Drive API seems to order the results by default in reverse time order. If this is true then deleting and re-copying the metadata.db file should make the library visible by making the database the newest file in the folder.

#18  stumped 07-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Quote chaley
There should be a post after that one saying that I found a way around the problem.
Too bad I wasn't faster. I suspect that the problem is related to the number of "items" in the library folder. Drive paginates the results if there are lots. How many is "lots"? I don't know, but it could be more than 1000.

However, the Drive API seems to order the results by default in reverse time order. If this is true then deleting and re-copying the metadata.db file should make the library visible by making the database the newest file in the folder.
there are over 5K files in my calibre folder, about 1,500 different book titles. so that could be an explanation.

that;s a "small" library, if the "mine's bigger than yours" library size posts are anything to go by !
metadata.db is right at the end, after all the author subfolders, takes about 5 minutes of fierce scrolling in web view to see it!

but its a confidence thing. If i cant be sure that g Drive will always work than I don't want it. esp because when I use the cloud conenct is late at night to get one more book to read, and main PC is off, that;s not a good time for getting errors if like me you can't just let go and will fret about it until solved.
looking back just over this year, there's been lost support from amazon drive, and the dropbox workaround, & which probably does not play nice with the 3 device limit, plus the G drive issues.
its not looking good for cloud support

I know you are no longer the developer but maybe pcloud can be moved up the to do list? or should I go try box.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register