Mobileread
[GUI Plugin] Modify ePub
#1251  otapi 10-03-2019, 02:08 AM
Yes, I tried that, but an epub-epub convert is an overkill to this, and it messes up the wrapping; it removes a lot of new line characters somewhy.

#1252  JSWolf 10-03-2019, 06:40 AM
Quote otapi
Yes, I tried that, but an epub-epub convert is an overkill to this, and it messes up the wrapping; it removes a lot of new line characters somewhy.
The easiest solution is to open the ePub in the Editor and go to the CSS and remove any color lines you want to get rid of.

#1253  otapi 10-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Quote JSWolf
The easiest solution is to open the ePub in the Editor and go to the CSS and remove any color lines you want to get rid of.
It is OK to this way in one book, but not in hundreds of books. I will look into this plugin's code and will add an option to strip background-color from the CSS.

#1254  JSWolf 10-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Quote otapi
It is OK to this way in one book, but not in hundreds of books. I will look into this plugin's code and will add an option to strip background-color from the CSS.
Where did you get those eBooks? Color codes like that are not the norm.

#1255  Rev. Bob 10-04-2019, 03:00 AM
Quote otapi
Modify ePub really isn’t built for that type of manipulation. The engine isn’t designed for it, in the same way that cars aren’t built to be driven underwater. To clarify, from a post contemporary to the ones you looked at:

Quote ldolse
I think the trick would be to apply all the css modifications at once though, so it would require a bit of a re-design of the current function - basically a top level modify css, then a bunch of sub-functions - sort of like heuristics.
That’s a significant undertaking, and not one anybody has really wanted to tackle. There are a lot of ways to get that wrong, and referring someone to calibre’s ebook editor for a case-by-case solution is far easier (and safer).

#1256  Rev. Bob 10-04-2019, 04:00 AM
I’ve been doing some review to make sure what the current status of this plugin is, and here’s my assessment so far.

First post: Kiwidude’s latest revision, v1.3.13, from 2015. Latest official release, AFAIK.
Fork 1, on my machine: A stable beta that adds some minor unpretty enhancements.
Fork 2, in post 1127: A version-number bump which adds an option to remove page map files, from late 2017.
Fork 3, in post 1208: A patch for a reported bug, from May of this year. Source code posted, but not incorporated into a currently available version due to other issues.

If that’s an accurate summary of the current status, it’s past time to harmonize everything into a proper, official update. I’m looking at calling the final result either v1.3.15 or v1.4.0, to avoid any confusion with other forks. Does anybody have any further information to add before I start working on such a merge?

(Opinions on whether 1.3.15 or 1.4.0 is preferred would be useful, but secondary to the key question of whether other forks exist that need to be folded in.)

#1257  BetterRed 10-04-2019, 04:44 AM
Since 2019-05-01 08:25 I've been using version 1.3.14 (ex post #1208), I installed it to do some regression tests for JX, i.e. not to test or use additional featues. It didn't break anything so I kept it.

For no particular reason I suggest version 1.4.0

BR

#1258  otapi 10-04-2019, 05:46 AM
Quote JSWolf
Where did you get those eBooks? Color codes like that are not the norm.
Where did you get the idea what is the norm? Even the first question on this thread from 2011 is about this problem...

#1259  otapi 10-04-2019, 05:48 AM
Quote Rev. Bob
Modify ePub really isn’t built for that type of manipulation. The engine isn’t designed for it, in the same way that cars aren’t built to be driven underwater.
Well, I looked into the code of the plugin (ver 1.3.13) and I'm pretty sure, I could change css.py/rewrite_css to remove all background color settings with a regex in the variable 'data'.

If that’s an accurate summary of the current status, it’s past time to harmonize everything into a proper, official update. I’m looking at calling the final result either v1.3.15 or v1.4.0, to avoid any confusion with other forks. Does anybody have any further information to add before I start working on such a merge?
Do you plan to share the code of the merged changes on github?

#1260  JSWolf 10-04-2019, 06:14 AM
Quote Rev. Bob
I’ve been doing some review to make sure what the current status of this plugin is, and here’s my assessment so far.

First post: Kiwidude’s latest revision, v1.3.13, from 2015. Latest official release, AFAIK.
Fork 1, on my machine: A stable beta that adds some minor unpretty enhancements.
Fork 2, in post 1127: A version-number bump which adds an option to remove page map files, from late 2017.
Fork 3, in post 1208: A patch for a reported bug, from May of this year. Source code posted, but not incorporated into a currently available version due to other issues.

(Opinions on whether 1.3.15 or 1.4.0 is preferred would be useful, but secondary to the key question of whether other forks exist that need to be folded in.)
I've been running 1.3.14 with no problem. I think it's a good idea to make your version the standard version. It works very well. If 1.4.0 is working no problem, then use that one. Can the latest version please be attached since it seems I have an older version? Thanks.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (126/137)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register