Mobileread
Bookmark
#1  tetrault 11-30-2019, 03:15 AM
Sigil has a menu item Bookmark Location. That's nice, but I can't find any information about bookmarks. Do they mark positions within a document? If so, how can I make a bookmark?

#2  Doitsu 11-30-2019, 07:33 AM
Quote tetrault
Sigil has a menu item Bookmark Location. That's nice, but I can't find any information about bookmarks. Do they mark positions within a document? If so, how can I make a bookmark?
AFAIK, you can bookmark a location in the Code View window by pressing CTRL+ALT+B. To return to the bookmark, click the yellow Back toolbar button.

#3  DiapDealer 11-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Wow. It's been a !ong time since someone pointed out a Sigil function that I had no idea existed. Does it work? Is it at all useful?

#4  BeckyEbook 11-30-2019, 10:08 AM
In some Windows keyboard layouts (including the Polish layout), instead of the default Ctrl+Alt+B shortcut, I can press AltGr+B, which is a fast, mnemonic way that I like very much.
During normal work – I rarely use it, but I'm glad that such an option exists.
When I have to go back a few times to a specific place in code and I just need to search other files. Then I come back quickly (Ctrl+\). Useful (for me) at the final polishing up the file.

#5  tetrault 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM
The Mac version no shortcut listed for creating a bookmark. However, despite being omitted from the list, a bookmark can be created with the shortcut (with command instead of control). The bookmark can be found with the back arrow or the Bookmark Location menu item. There are two problems. I can make only one bookmark per document, and I can find no way to remove the bookmark. There is nothing in code view to indicate the bookmark.

#6  theducks 11-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Uh!
Then why isn't 'insert bookmark' on the insert menu?
(not that I even knew this was available before this thread. But I usually look at all the menus when learning a new app, to see what is available.)

#7  KevinH 11-30-2019, 11:03 AM
A bookmark is nothing more than a file and offset info stored in a variable temporarily. It is not a reading-system like bookmarking system. It is for marking a single point to return to before following a link or jump or search.

So only one is needed and no touching or changing of the code itself is used.

#8  BetterRed 11-30-2019, 03:39 PM
I never realised Search->Back was connected to Search->Bookmark Location.

But I just noticed the kb shortcut for Back has this: Go Back to where you last went to a link or style, or bookmarked your location, in its description and its tooltip - unfortunately, Sigil's menu items have no tooltips.

BR

#9  KevinH 11-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Yes icons have the tooltips, menus should be self-explanatory.

#10  BetterRed 11-30-2019, 04:42 PM
Quote KevinH
Yes icons have the tooltips . . .
This discriminates against those who don't use mouse, in my case because of disability.

That a kb shortcut should get a tooltip that is the exactly the same as its listed description, i.e belt and braces, whilst the primary interface menu item gets nothing, doesn't make sense to me.

Quote KevinH
. . . menus should be self-explanatory.
Agreed, so I suggest the Back menu item be changed to Back to link, style or location.

And maybe Bookmark location should be Mark location.

BR

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register