Mobileread
Marvin 3 and iOS 13
#21  ilovejedd 10-31-2019, 09:29 PM
Quote Turtle91
Interesting. I know you can transfer multiples using OPDS...
It's only the via share sheet that you can't do batch transfers. In-app OPDS and Dropbox work just fine. I find Dropbox is the most convenient with its download all option and the fact that it allows overwriting unlike other download sources (I desperately need overwrite for fanfics ).

You don't need to go to the files app if you just downloaded it - there is a downloads link in
the top right of the Safari window (circle with arrow).
Thanks for the tip!

I know about the Downloads link on the upper right. Alas, I've been tapping on the magnifying glass beside the filename instead of on the filename itself so it was opening in the Files app. Although I could've sworn that tapping on the filename previously just opened it directly in the Books app.

I think Dropbox has been updated, too, since I distinctly recall Open in/Save to Dropbox missing from the share sheet altogether and having had to copy the download to Documents (Readdle) first just so I could copy to Dropbox.

Overall, still 2-3 taps more than iOS 12 behavior but not as bad as it used to be now that I'm not needing to switch to multiple apps.

#22  diremommy 11-02-2019, 02:08 AM
Thanks. I guess once the other bugs are gone, I’ll just have to go back to using the Calibre content server every time I want to get a book onto my iPad.

#23  peaceridge 12-26-2019, 03:44 PM
With IOS 13 an externa hard drive can be connected to the ipad - how would I get books from it into Marvin?

#24  ilovejedd 12-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Quote peaceridge
With IOS 13 an externa hard drive can be connected to the ipad - how would I get books from it into Marvin?
Quite painfully, I imagine (sending books to Marvin one by one).

In the Files app, navigate to the folder with ebooks on your hard drive, long press on the ebook, Share and Copy to Marvin.

#25  peaceridge 12-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Quote ilovejedd
Quite painfully, I imagine (sending books to Marvin one by one).

In the Files app, navigate to the folder with ebooks on your hard drive, long press on the ebook, Share and Copy to Marvin.
Thanks. That's what I finally figured out, just hoping there was a different way. I'd love to keep all my favorite ebooks on my ipad, but there is not enough room. That's why I was hoping I could use an external drive to hold them. Oh well, hopefully Apple will come out with a new mini and I can get more storage in it - shows trying to save money with less storage is not such a good idea!

#26  ilovejedd 12-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Quote peaceridge
Thanks. That's what I finally figured out, just hoping there was a different way. I'd love to keep all my favorite ebooks on my ipad, but there is not enough room. That's why I was hoping I could use an external drive to hold them. Oh well, hopefully Apple will come out with a new mini and I can get more storage in it - shows trying to save money with less storage is not such a good idea!
Guessing you have a lot of large books?

Not counting comics, I think my ebooks total less than 10GB de-duplicated.

Prior to this year, the mini was last updated back in 2015 (iPad mini 4). I wouldn't count on an update anytime soon. Was waiting for a holiday sale on the iPad mini 5 but sadly, that was the only model that didn't go on sale this season.

#27  Turtle91 12-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Hi peaceridge, I honestly don't remember if you can multi-select with the Files-app and transfer altogether... I don't think it can. But, you might try looking into the opds functionality of Calibre. I won't say it's super easy to setup (not too difficult), but once you work your way through it you can have ALL your books available to any iThing, regardless of the memory size, at the touch of a button. I have over 2000 of my books available to me anywhere in the world (with wifi/internet) at anytime and I only have to install the few that I'm reading right then.

#28  ilovejedd 12-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Quote Turtle91
Hi peaceridge, I honestly don't remember if you can multi-select with the Files-app and transfer altogether...
You can multi-select in Files and send to app. The problem is Marvin isn't programmed to accept multiple files.

#29  peaceridge 12-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Quote Turtle91
Hi peaceridge, I honestly don't remember if you can multi-select with the Files-app and transfer altogether... I don't think it can. But, you might try looking into the opds functionality of Calibre. I won't say it's super easy to setup (not too difficult), but once you work your way through it you can have ALL your books available to any iThing, regardless of the memory size, at the touch of a button. I have over 2000 of my books available to me anywhere in the world (with wifi/internet) at anytime and I only have to install the few that I'm reading right then.
Thanks, but I don't have internet a lot of the time, that's why I don't use the opds.

#30  peaceridge 12-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Quote ilovejedd
Guessing you have a lot of large books?

Not counting comics, I think my ebooks total less than 10GB de-duplicated.

Prior to this year, the mini was last updated back in 2015 (iPad mini 4). I wouldn't count on an update anytime soon. Was waiting for a holiday sale on the iPad mini 5 but sadly, that was the only model that didn't go on sale this season.
I have more than 32gb in just academic papers (mostly pdf's). Maybe 20 gb in fiction. Dumb that I bought a 64gb ipad. It was better when I had a working Calibre Companion and could load up subsets, but it is unlikely that cc will ever get fixed, so I've been looking at work-arounds.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register