Mobileread
Possible bug with opening a book in Android 11.
#1  kaufman 12-26-2020, 01:28 AM
I've got a Note 20 ultra that was updated to android 11 last week.

Since then, long pressing on a book no longer launches the book in moon reader +. It opens the app, but the book isn't loaded.

When I try to open a book file from a file manager, it does load as expected in moon reader+.

I also tried installing another book reader and got the same result.

Is anyone else seeing this with Android 11?

#2  JSWolf 12-26-2020, 06:17 AM
Quote kaufman
I've got a Note 20 ultra that was updated to android 11 last week.

Since then, long pressing on a book no longer launches the book in moon reader +. It opens the app, but the book isn't loaded.

When I try to open a book file from a file manager, it does load as expected in moon reader+.

I also tried installing another book reader and got the same result.

Is anyone else seeing this with Android 11?
It could be a bug in Moon Reader+.

#3  kaufman 12-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Quote JSWolf
It could be a bug in Moon Reader+.
I thought of that, but when I sent a book from my file manager (Solid Explorer) to Moon Reader+, it did open successfully.

And I installed some other book reader, and it also doesn't open the books. It launched the app, but no book.

Still, maybe both book readers have the same issue with Android 11. I'll message the Moon Reader folks and see if they have any ideas.

#4  Isurus 12-28-2020, 08:17 AM
I also have the Note 20 Ultra and have noticed the same issue since the update to Android 11. FBReader Premium cannot be called from Calibre Companion, though it runs fine from file explorers. Similarly, Calibre Companion fails to transfer the book to any of my PDF programs to read PDF files, including Acrobat, Drive PDF Viewer, Microsoft Office, CDisplayEx, ezPDF Reader.

I read somewhere that Android 11 has new policies on how apps access storage, but I have no idea whether new code is needed in Calibre Companion, or the readers, or both.

#5  Isurus 12-30-2020, 04:08 AM
Just tested Libera and Libera Pro. They can open epub and pdf files from Calibre Companion. So the problem seems to be with (many!) readers rather than CC.

#6  Isurus 12-30-2020, 04:49 AM
Another interesting observation about Libera Pro. After opening the book from CC, there is a menu option to send the book (and it works) to another application (eg, FBReader, Acrobat) which could not open the book directly from CC.

#7  JSWolf 12-30-2020, 06:37 AM
FBReader = Fairly Bad Reader. I suggest it be deleted it so it won't waste storage.

#8  kaufman 01-05-2021, 05:44 PM
Quote Isurus
Just tested Libera and Libera Pro. They can open epub and pdf files from Calibre Companion. So the problem seems to be with (many!) readers rather than CC.
Are you on Android 11? It worked with me until I upgraded my OS.

#9  kaufman 01-06-2021, 06:24 PM
A little more information. It looks like Calibre Companion might be sending a path that isn't strictly compatible with Android 11.

This is the path to the books in CC and the error message I get from Fbreader.

It looks like CC is using a base path of "/external" instead of "/storage/emulated/0"

For now, I am using Librera which is working, but I would love to go back to Moon+Reader

image »

image »

#10  PeterT 01-06-2021, 08:02 PM
I hate to say it but you might be stuck. There's been no sign of either Sam or his Project manager for some time.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register