Mobileread
Literary Owls Do Cry by Janet Frame
#31  Bookworm_Girl 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the recommendation on the other book!

Another aspect which was autobiographical is that Janet Frame’s brother had epilepsy and two of her sisters died by drowning.

#32  AnotherCat 09-17-2020, 07:00 PM
Quote AnotherCat
...It has also prompted me to look out Jane Mander's The Story of a New Zealand River written much earlier (1920) and has some reputation it being still in print.
I have now read The Story of a New Zealand River and quite enjoyed it as well as thinking it well written. My only criticism is a just personal one, I felt the story was a bit drawn out for my taste but not enough to spoil the book.

So even though I have also now had a look at her 2 other better known novels which on the face of it do not look so good, I have to add Jane Mander to my very short list of what I regard as competent NZ novelists of literary standing .

#33  Bookworm_Girl 09-17-2020, 08:21 PM
Thank you for the update, AnotherCat! Another one to add to my TBR list.

#34  AnotherCat 09-18-2020, 05:30 PM
In case you get to that end of your "to read" list , apart from the commercial ebook copies there is a free epub in the New Zealand Electronic Text Collection** and a passably good (from the little I checked) reading of it at LibraVox which I may listen to one day. And a yellow paged PDF at Archive.org.

**Unfortunately the NZETC uses TEI markup standards which result in messy and extravagantly built epubs, but are usable (however, I take the trouble to rebuild them to my own tidier versions if there is no other free source).

#35  sun surfer 09-18-2020, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info, AnotherCat. Now I too want to read Jane Mander.

« First  « Prev   (4/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register